Friday, June 4, 2010

Harvest - Poppies - Mystery Plant

I took the day off to process the strawberries and broccoli.

The Premium Crop broccoli was huge this year. I had two heads that were 8 and 9 inches across and two smaller heads. I think the four plants will make all we need.

From Harvest 2010

I haven't been happy with my frozen broccoli for some time; it seems to be almost overcooked when I serve it. This year I just blanched it until it turned bright green; not even l minute. I dumped it immediately into a sink full of ice water. I hope this works.

This is the color I was looking for:

From Harvest 2010

I also slice the longer stems into pieces that I can add to stir fry or soups. I like it better than cabbage. These I blanched a little longer, chilled, towel dried and placed on a cookie sheet to freeze. Then I will bag them up in bulk and freeze. That way I can just take out what I want to use.
From Harvest 2010

Bless his heart, DH decided to pick some cherries for me! He did the bowl full and decided they needed to ripen another day or two. I am too tired today to do them, but they will be fine until tomorrow. I plan to make him a fresh cherry pie too. There is nothing better than fresh cherries right off the tree in a pie.

From Harvest 2010

Here are two indispensable kitchen tools. Funny, how I just discovered the spider recently. I use it almost daily! Great, great tool. The colander type pan came in my little electric cooker, another wonderful addition to my kitchen. Between it and the electric skillet, I hardly need my range except for baking.

From Harvest 2010

Do you see the pepper, salt and butter in the background? I always dip whatever I am blanching in butter and salt and pepper and eat a few while I work. I love broccoli this way and sweet corn and green beans!

Farm

Brush hogging should be finished today! Praise be.

I am needing to do some errands but we don't want to leave until he is finished. I need freezer bags and some netting to throw over the blueberry bushes. I may get about a quart off them this year. I picked a cup yesterday. I don't want the mocking birds and jays to steal any of these. I share strawberries and cherries and that is all!

Garden


More poppies are opening,
From poppies



Early in the season I spotted this plant and didn't recognize it as one of my usual weeds....so I have cultivated it (just weeded around it). It is getting ready to bloom. It grows close to the ground and sends out a runner like growth. I don't have a clue what it is. If anyone recognizes it, let me know. I think the bud will be open this morning and I will take another picture and post.
From mystery plants
From mystery plants
From mystery plants

2 comments:

  1. Glenda ~ You ALWAYS inspire me with what you do there on the farm. What delicious looking produce and to think you grew and harvested it yourselves.

    Your poppies are just gorgeous. I love that color. It will be interesting to see what your mystery plant is.

    Have a lovely day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your broccoli and cherries look yummy. I love the color of your poppies. I don't know your mystery plant. The leaves almost looked like they could be a perennial or wild geranium, but the blooms don't look like them to me.

    ReplyDelete