Monday, August 9, 2010

New Bull, Odds and Ends

Another hot day ahead with possible 110° heat index.

They called last night to say they were delivering the new bull this morning early.An incentive like that gets me going; I got the house cleaned and tidy and trimmed about half the front ditch and mowed around the house all before 7:30 AM.
I need to have company coming daily. There is no telling how much I could get accomplished!

Then I decided to try a new recipe from Lovella at Mennonite Girls Can Cook
From Food
blog. It is for a soft buttermilk cookie that you ice. I plan to freeze them singly and than stack in a container so we can just get one out now and then to have with coffee. They actually are like having a very small piece of cake. I made some modifications to the recipe.

Soft Buttermilk Cookie

3/4 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon soda
3 -1/2 cup flour
1 -1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1- 1/2 cup icing sugar
a few teaspoons milk
dash lemon extract (I just used lemon zest)
1.Cream the softened butter and the sugars and salt. Add eggs and beat.
2.Stir together the buttermilk and soda.
3.Combine the flour and baking powder.
4.Stir the flour and baking powder and buttermilk and soda into the creamed egg mixture.
5.Add the vanilla. (zest and lemon extract opt.)
6.Drop by teaspoons onto the cookie sheet
7.Bake at 375 F for 7 - 10 minutes.
8.Allow to cool on baking rack
9.Stir together the icing sugar, milk to make a thin spreadable icing and a little lemon extract.(I just used zest)
10.Spread over cookies and if you want to dress them up seasonally. . .give them a few sprinkles before the icing sets.
from the kitchen of Lovella ♥

Note: These spread a lot so give them plenty of room.
Note: I used cream for the icing and added some lemon zest

I said I wasn't going to water anything but the gardens....couldn't stand seeing the wilted things around the foundation so......am watering. I watched several Cardinals land on the large Robustissima anemone leaves and take showers. Other were lined up on a limb waitng their turn.

1 comment:

  1. I still get worn out reading all you get done around there! How are your hands?

    I hope the bull likes his new home.

    Those cookies sure look yummy!

    Oh, it was 'Immortality' we decided the iris is last year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete