Thursday, January 27, 2011

2nd attempt - Banana Cake, etc.

I have been having lots of nit-picking computer problems all on Gardenweb so did some ad-ons....still have trouble logging in...this morning added another No Script!
That may have been a mistake....lost my post here...just disabled it and will try again........Dang I did a long one too.

OK, abbreviated version.

I milked yesterday and than did a 45-minute walk straight down the middle of the farm to the Big Pond Field. The pond there isn't the biggest in area, but is supposed to be the deepest. We assigned names to the various field way back so we could identify where we were going or what area we were talking about. Sometimes I think DH and I speak different languages so we need all the help we can get.

I started out walking down the lane that runs through the center of the farm. From this lane you can access what area of the farm you want to go to, yet move cattle down it safely to the loading or working area.

I took lots of pictures but will share them just now and then....don't want to bore anyone to death. Here is the top of the bank leading down to the pond; it doesn't look steep here but is so I picked up a long stick for support. The pond is frozen and would probably would support me but I didn't want to test that theory.

Here is the frozen pond.

There were lots of turkey tracks and some others that may have been coyote. The snow isn't new so the tracks were not in pristine condition.



I did make the cake! You knew I would, didn't you.

This is from my old l970's era Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook. I have made it many times and it is always good. It is a good cake for beginners because it is a dump everything in one bowl and beat cake. I always use butter for shortening in my cakes....except for my favorite white cake....for obvious reasons....I want it white.

I like to cook/bake like our old Home Ec teacher taught us...get out all the ingredients first...move them to one side once you have added them. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour either round cakes pans (2) or (l) 9x13 which I always use.

Banana Cake (from Better Homes & Garden Cookbook)

2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe banana
½ cup buttermilk or sour milk
½ cup shortening (I use butter)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt. Mix; add bananas, buttermilk, shortening, eggs and vanilla. Beat on low speed till combined. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Pour batter in two round pans or a 9x13 oblong pan that have been greased and floured.

Bake in a preheated 350° oven until toothpick in center come out clean.....35 minutes or so. Maybe longer,..

Cool completely before icing.

We love this icing:

Cream Cheese

2-3oz packages cream cheese
½ cup softened butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
4-1/2 cups or more of powdered sugar.

Cream together cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy.
Gradually add sugar beating well.
Add enough sugar to make a spreading consistency.

Will frost a layer cake or the oblong with some left over.

These cakes are supposed to be refrigerated with this icing...I rarely do, but if cake isn't used quickly, I would.
The batter is very thick and rich looking.

and here is a piece:
I don't know why but somehow this cake has a very moist,luscious taste, more-so than some others.

13 comments:

  1. Sorry you're still having problems with Gardenweb. That cake looks delicious. I love "dump cakes". They're so easy to mix. I was taught the same way in home ec., measure out all your ingredients before starting. I guess hat's why I have so many sets of measuring cups and spoons. My sister measures one thing at a time and then if she gets interrupted for some reason, half the time she can't remember what she's measured and what she hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the pictures and you get a gold star for posting this all twice! I'm off to make banan-r cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy. I wrote the recipe down.
    FL and I were just giving you a bad time with the disappearing post...we luv ya.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-O, Glenda! (Seems like I say that a lot to you...)

    GW inactivates my AVG Virus protection, seems like every time I go there. I don't go there much because like they're always having some kind of technical problem... and then there's that other issue we talked about. Been lurking on You Grow Girl forums and Chickens in the Road forums, when I have time. Not much lately.

    I love seeing your place. Glad you're not paranoid about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the turkey tracts but not so sure about the coyote. I just got a few rabbits back in the area..if we have rabbits I know we don't have coyotes..
    Banana Cake brings back memories.. When I was a little girl and it was my birthday I got to chose what kind of birthday cake I wanted.. It was always Banana Cake.. Yum. Yum.. and the cream chees frosting would just add to the deliciousness of this cake..
    Ta Ta For now from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking at your tracks, possibly coyote or possibly Bobcat?
    Don't quit taking photos of the farm, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray ~ I knew you'd be showing us a picture and giving us the recipe. I bet I have this in my BHG cookbook that I got in 1970 as a Christmas present from DH's sister and husband. I love cream cheese frosting!

    What a wonderful pond. Thank you so much for sharing pictures. Like Denim I love them. I'll never get tired of seeing lovely, quiet, country scenery.

    I rarely go to GW anymore. It's changed over the years with more advertising which in my opinion ruins it. Especially those dang pop ups when you run your cursor over a word.

    Hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Glenda...that looks delicious! I'm going to have to try that one! I bake that way too...get out all the ingredients, then one side to the other...is that where I got that...from Home Ec? I often wondered since my Aunt was not a baker at all. :)JP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bananas and cream cheese are such a perfect pair. That cake looks deliciously moist and fluffy. I have a linky party every week on my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use butter too... for all my baking. I have trouble using oils or shortenings in cakes..seems sacrilegious somehow...

    sounds pretty tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake caught my eye over at Sweets For a Saturday ----Look delicious! I may have to try it out next time I get company!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love banana cake and have been searching for a really good recipe - I must try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday. I hope you'll be able to join in again.

    ReplyDelete