Thursday, July 9, 2015

From the Swampy Ozarks

I have lost track of the running total but we have had another 2.25 inches over the last two days.  You go squish, squish walking through the yard and the chicken yard is standing water here and there.

More rain predicted over the next four days.

A side benefit to this weather is the way it sharpens my arthritis pain and discomfort!  I will say no more, but am thankful for Tylenol and Coated Aspirin.

I was up at my usual early time this morning.  I always read for a while and then do breakfast.  This morning it was scrambled eqqs and a new recipe from Allrecipes for Cinnamon Danish.  We think it is a keeper.




Original recipe makes 15 rolls Change Servings

  • PREP
    1 hr
  • COOK
    10 mins
  • READY IN
    1 hr 40 mins

Directions

  1. Pour the warm milk into a mixing bowl and mash in the fresh cake yeast. Mix in 6 1/2 tablespoons of soft butter, eggs, cardamom, 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and 3 1/2 cups of the flour. Use a wooden spoon to mix the dough. If it's very sticky, mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of flour. Cover the bowl and let the dough rise for 30 minutes.
  2. Cream together the 2/3 cup butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in the cinnamon.
  3. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead it until it's firm, about 3 minutes. Divide the dough in half; roll each half into a rectangle no more than 1/2 inch thick. Spread each rectangle with half the filling.
  4. Stack one layer of dough and filling on top of the other rectangle of dough, filling-side up. Roll the dough up, starting with the edge closest to you, to form a long log. Cut the log into 1 inch-thick slices.
  5. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease a baking dish or two cake pans.
  6. Place the rolls on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 3 inches apart. If you like pull-apart rolls, arrange them in a greased baking dish or cake pans, spacing the rolls about 1 inch apart. Place the uneven end pieces on the baking sheet cut-side up for the best presentation. Let the rolls rest 20 minutes before baking.
  7. Bake the snails in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pull-apart rolls will take longer to bake: after 10 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and bake the rolls until the sides are set and browned lightly.


I also made two loaves of oatmeal bread from Williams Sonoma's recipe for old-fashioned white bread.  I liked the recipe but next time would add less oatmeal (I subbed l cup for l cup flour) and more sweetener and less salt.

I put a pot of pinto beans on this morning.  That will be lunch/dinner.

We have lost 2 of our last 4 chickens lately, even after the new pen.  But Max didn't lock them up at night a few times and we paid the price (or they did).
We set the live trap but didn't catch anything for several nights.  Yesterday morning he took pics of the varmint we finally trapped.    It looks like a raccoom but has no 'bandit' eye patches.  Whatever it is, it is no more!

 

The rains have not helped the veggie garden or the flowers.  The pole beans seem to be enjoying it:



I like to encourage anyone, especially if you are an older gardener to give this method a try.  It is a hoophouse arrangement made from two cattle panels bent between steel t-posts.  I stand in the cool shade underneath and grab handbuls of beans.  There are a few I have to collect from the outside, but not many.

I have also harvested several eggplants and will try my Sis's method of cooking on the grill, cooling and freezing individually and bagging.  She then reheats them in the oven and says they are very close to fresh from the garden.  I like them better than DH, but he will eat  them.


This is enough for now.  I have taken a few more of the flowers but will do that later.


8 comments:

  1. Wow, things are growing wonderfully.

    I'll be there for breakfast.

    I have to know what kind of animal that is. Very unusual. Did it behave like a raccoon? Curiosity is killing me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, it was vicious! tried to attack Max through the trap. It is a raccoon. I show the pics on this mornings blog.

      Now something attacked Willow and her baby last night.....it is always something.

      Delete
  2. Glenda,

    Oh those cinnamon rolls look divine!!! I love your idea of using feed panels to make a tunnel type trellis for your beans. Great place to be picking bean pods in the shade. I may try this next season :-)
    I'm glad to hear you caught the little critter causing the havoc on your farm with your animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, that won't be the last of the varmints! So far, they haven't got into the outdoor run or the house itself.

      I hope you try the trellis. I don't even grow bush beans anymore.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a 'possum to me. Caught one in my trap 2 weeks ago and it was huge! I let him go - I was after groundhogs. I'm happy to have 'possum around at night. It cleans up all my daily dispatch of chipmunks. Circle of life... We got 1.5" last 2-3 days. Not as squishy here since it was the first rain all month. Downsizing garage sale this weekend. I'm already exhausted. Ah, wish I could set up a hoop like that for beans. But it would be like a driveup window for the freaking deer. Sorry for your aches and pains during the weather. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Dang, those deer! We got another 1/2 inch this morning.

      Delete
  4. HA! That poor critter looks like a drowned rat! My husband said to tell you that we have tried and tried to put up that yellow crime tape around the garden, etc. to let the coons and possums know that it is off limits. But, alas, to no avail. For some reason they just keep coming into where they are not welcomed. They do honestly look pitiful when caught. That may be just a ploy on their part. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have lost track of the skunks, raccoons and possums and 2 groundhogs we have caught! There will be more I am sure. I feel no remorse in eliminating them.

      Delete