Sunday, September 6, 2015

A Slower Sunday Morning

DH talked me into a much slower, relaxing day today......he can't understand why I can't just sit and do nothing....after all these years (54).

So, I just trimmed  the path by the garden fence where I removed the peach trees and saw the sorry little cucumber vine was still trying to grow and needed watering.....did that and then watered the two roses left in the driveway bed that is no more.

And I know I shouldn't because it is rampant enough, but watered that gigantic squash plant for an hour.  I am pinching tips hoping that several of the squashes will ripen before frost.

Then I trimmed  some on the cellar bed and saw some young saplings  I had missed...red bud and elm (of course).

All total time not over an hour.

Food

I found some overly ripe bananas in the fridge yesterday evening and made cupcakes.  I used the banana cake recipe in my 1960 era Better Homes and Garden cookbook.  It is an excellent recipe.  I had to sub sour cream for the buttermilk but it didn't hurt it at all.  If you can find an old  copy of this book, not the updated version, grab it up.  It is still the 'go to' cookbook for both my Sis and me.


From Food



Banana Cake BH&G Page 80 (old issue )
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup mashed ripe banana (usually two)
½ cup buttermilk or sour milk
½ cup shortening
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all dry ingredients and ½ teaspoons salt. Add bananas, buttermilk, shortening, eggs and vanilla
Beat on low until mixed then on medium for three minutes.

Pour into 2 greased and floured 8 or 9 inch cake pans. Bake 350°for 30 to 35 minutes. Test with toothpick .Cool for l0 minutes before removing from pan.

Note: I ice with cream cheese icing and freeze some in pan for later.

Flowers in the Yard

The clematis paniculata on the barn lot fence is doing what I wanted it to:  Screening that ugly lot!
I have let a few Grandpa Otts morning glories stay.  I love that color!


From Flowers September blog



The cosmos are finally in full bloom
From Flowers September blog





My old standby self-seeding annual salvia farinacea, mixed colors now!

From Flowers September blog


Fruit

I have  a Kieffer pear tree back by the barn lot.  It has lots of fruit this year but, it is not the ordinary pear tree.  It is hard as a brick and you have to pick it when it is ready (my problem is when is that?) and let it ripen in a cool place for some  time.  It is used mostly for pear honey and  cooking.  It was supposed to be resistant to fireblight.......it isn't!  I am bothered with fireblight in all pear trees every single year.  I can see where the possum has been eating a few on the ground.  Does anyone have any experience with the particular pear tree?  I have pulled a few and have them inside now but I can't see that they are ripening at all.
From Fruit Trees 2015


From Fruit Trees 2015


Have a wonderful Sunday.

12 comments:

  1. We're in mid-Missouri and have a Kieffer-Bosc hybrid that was fairly old when we bought our place five years ago. Last year all the leaves were affected by fire blight, but it produced a bumper crop of the biggest, healthiest pears I've ever seen. This year the leaves look good again, but there is a total of four pears on the tree.

    After reading the following link, I'm thinking that all the spring rain we got this year during its flowering period adversely affected the tree. Our local agronomist friend suggested that our problems really started during the 2012 drought and are becoming evident now. He thinks that, with a little babying, the tree might produce again.
    http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7414.html
    Thanks for your posts. I always learn something about what might prosper in our neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a very unusual gardening year for us in southwest Missouri. This is the most fruit this tree has ever had. We constantly battle ground hogs, possums, raccoons and skunks for our harvests! They favor homegrown chickens too! I read the link about fireblight. Sadly, I have tried sprays but have given up on them. I have lost one Seckel pear tree due to the damage.

      We have family in the area you are from.

      Delete
  2. These may be like "keeping" apples. Wrap in paper is a cool dark place and they are ripe for Christmas.

    I understand the rush to clean. I am trying to do the same thing but it is so hot! Nothing is growing and much is wilting.

    Have a blessed relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am in such a rush because I feel like I have lost the summer maintenance I felt so lousy.

    Hard work is good for the body .... and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glenda, I pick my pears just before they're ripe, scrub them clean, dry them, and wrap them in newspaper. They nestle down together in a cardboard box and when the box is full, the box goes into the pantry where it's dark most of the time and about 78ยบ. I check them every few days and when they look and feel ripe, I move them to the refrigerator or I process them. I don't remember what kind of pears I have but when they start ripening they get a red "blush spot", and then when fully ripe the skins are yellow and the red blush is still there. In fact I'm working on a post where I show how I do this but I prolly won't get it posted for a couple more days. Maybe this will work for your pears. If you let the pears fully ripen on the tree, their scent summons the insects and the wildlife. They will also fall from the tree and bruise so badly you'll lose part of the pear. Hope this helps. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Kieffer is a different kind of pear than the norm. I think it is supposed to be ready to pull mid September in my zone. Of course, if I wait long enough, the possums, skunks, etc. will get them first. Max dispatched another possum last week! I will be watching for your post.

      Delete
  5. Is that just ONE clematis along that fence? Or are there several. What a display. Do you have to trim it down in spring? I sure wouldn't mind something like that on my snow fence back by the golf course. Your's is stunning!

    Love the deep color of the morning glories you have. Do they bloom early? Or what until you think nothing is going to happen (which mine tend towards). Glad you got in some baking. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris, that is just one! This is the best it has ever done which tells me it loves moisture. I can see if I can dig up a start for you. Will let you know. It is extremely fragrant.

    The mg is all self seeded,. I believe it blooms a bit later than the wild ones or the blue ones that I may have planted.
    I can save seeds if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A start of that clematis would be terrific! And if you can spare some of those beautiful morning glories, so much the better. I'll keep in mind more water/clematis means more blooms. All the rain, even from the latest front, is south of us. Only .2" all month. Will be shutting down the veg pots soon -- too much watering, not much fruit left to try and mature.

      Delete
  7. Glenda,

    I love the color of your morning glories, they're so vibrant.
    As for your Kieffer pears, when they turn yellow or have a tad of pink/red to them they're ripe. Usually in the month of October if I can remember correctly. Now if you want them to ripen early, you can place them in a brown bag. These pears are delicious, and worth waiting for. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the advice about the Kieffers. I have yet to enjoy a properly ripened
    one. I did make pear honey one year.

    ReplyDelete