Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Mincemeat Time Again

We are having a beautiful cool fall day with bright sunshine.  I have hopes of working outside this afternoon.

My sis and I were both out of my mincemeat so three days ago I made up a new batch.  It just makes about 2.5 quarts which is enough for both of us.  Mostly we use it in cookies or turnovers.  I love making it.  I got a shock though when I got out Mom's old Kitchen Aid grinder that fits my new mixer.  I had forgotten that it cracked in half last year.  All was not lost.  I used  my trusty old (and I do mean old) Cuisinart processor and got everything blended nicely.  This year I just used a fruit cake mix in place of candied orange peel.  I also ground a whole orange with skin for that citrus flavor.  I think it is better than last year.....maybe just because it is fresh.  I added about 1/2 cup of brandy and let it ripen at room temperature before bagging and freezing.

I just had to test it this morning.  Part of the motivation was I needed to make pie crusts ahead for Thanksgiving.  I use Nathan's Never-Fail recipe that makes 6 crusts.  I used one for turnovers.

They are fairly low in calories for a dessert, around 90 at my 4 inch size. 
Max will be pleased when he gets back from errands.  Mincemeat is not his favorite but by now he will fall on them with glee!

It seems we have been so busy with errands for the last several days we haven't got much else accomplished.  I hope that stops...I still have to shop for a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner.

Yard

The new red mum is actually a bronze color.

 This is probably the last dahlia to survive the frosts. 


 

5 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is so soon already.

    Have a happy one ~ Love & hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have decided if my son comes we will cook a pork loin on the grill. If he can't come, we will go out to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glenda,

    Your mincemeat turnovers look really delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never developed a taste for mincemeat . . . probably 'cause I never had it growing up. It's one of those foods that definitely tastes better at a certain of time of year, though, isn't it? Sort of like my fruitcake.

    Yes, 2016 is just about over. How that happened, I don't know. Even young kids are commenting on how fast time goes by anymore. Wish it would slow down. I could enjoy a lot more time sitting on my rusty-duster reading or knitting or quilting or even watching a few movies from Netflix!

    ReplyDelete