Friday, March 24, 2017

We are in the Milk Again

Jewel, the Jersey cow, calved once again and we will now be using her milk!  Here she is still in her ratty winter coat with new heifer baby;

Max wasn't sure about her milk so he brought me a dripping pint to test (I was out weeding).  I took a drink and  told him  it was perfect.  He must have lost his sense of taste because he kept telling me it wasn't good yet.  I will let it rest overnight in the extra fridge and then skim off the cream and bottle the rest for drinking.

While out near the pens, I took a few more  cow pictures because several had  come  down the lane and were standing in the lot.

This is either Jewel or Willow's two year old heifer who will calve before too long.  I will have a small herd of milk cows (won't be milking them though).
We will have her dehorned soon.


This is my usual view of Willow since she  heads for the back 40 when she sees me!

This Willow with her current offspring,  another heifer. 

This is a better view of  Willow's  daughter.

We are promised some rain and storms for this evening so I tried to do some weeding in the flower beds before it hits (so far the storm  has just brought some showers).  This is what I fight all summer long, henbit.

It is a slow job especially with the very dry soil.  Maybe we will get enough rains to help.

Cooking:

I gave in  to Max's pleading yesterday and  made a Long Island Cheese Squash pie.  I cheated and had some too. This is all that is left and it has his name on it.
The squash/pumpkin is very prolific and makes a very tasty pie.


It is still raining lightly.....


10 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of the cows! Sounds as though you'll now have as much milk as you want.

    I almost made a pumpkin pie from puree in the freezer this past week, but opted to make an apple pie to use up some of the apples in the root cellar that are getting a little soft. Does Max get any whipped cream on his squash/pumpkin pie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you having to watch what you eat? You are such a good cook I don't know how anyone could resist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am doing it on my own and it is about time! Yes, I miss the baking and I miss the eating. I still get a warm slice of 'test' bread when it comes out of the oven.

      Delete
  3. Hi Glenna! I haven't been blogging as often as I used to. It was fun hearing from you on my last post, and to come here and see Willow and the other cows, and of course your pie. You are such a great cook! I hoe henbit a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you again Sue. I am going to try to squeeze in more blogging....we will see how that goes.

      More rains here, so more henbit!

      Delete
  4. Love Jerseys! If the goats hadn't come first it would have been a Jersey. But saving grace is my neighbor on the cattle ranch has a Jersey milk cow and I am welcome to cream when she isn't needing it to feed calves who have no mama cow for one reason or another. Nice looking pie also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to life on the farm in the Ozarks of southwestern Missouri. You do live in a beautiful part of the country too.

      I am adding you to my reading list. I love all things, rural, and garden and animals. We have never had goats or sheep but mostly all the rest!

      Delete
  5. loved this post and pics! henbit is a wonderful addition to compost since its kinda 'juicy'. lots of times I just cut them off at the root since it's back again next spring either way. the roots seem to add to the tilth of the soil. usually after they've been cut down they'll go dormant for the rest of the growing season. nature abhors a vacuum, id rather have henbit than Bermuda or bindweed. hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should adapt your attitude about the henbit! You are right; nothing grows amid the henbit patches....it will now be my 'native ground cover'. Now if I could figure out what to do about the Bermuda and the Virginia creeper....I just pulled a length of it that was 60 inches long.

    ReplyDelete