Monday, December 14, 2009

Eggs and Asparagus

We were amazed that we got 8 eggs from the new 8 pullets on the second day. They are such happy birds and sing and talk all day long. Our chickens pay no attention to them in their coop.


This morning after milking, I cleaned off the asparagus row and got about 1/3 of it mulched. I will have to keep the chickens off the garden now.....they scratch the mulch down to the dirt. I think another 3 bales of straw will finish the job. Then I want to burn all the garden debris which is tomato plants and asparagus to help keep down disease and insects.

The blackberries have spread over into the asparagus row. I will prune them early next spring and may try to remove the ones in the asparagus. I have more raspberry vines than I realized. They are easy to tell from the blackberries because of the way they grow and their stem color.

I think the weather will cooperate over the next few days so I can get the garden finished for winter.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the eggs! Sounds like the girls are settling in really fast. Hope they'll have no probs making friends with your current flock. :-D

    ReplyDelete