Thursday, December 31, 2009

Recipe for Mincemeat

I began this as a response for Flower Lady, but it got too long so just decided to do a second post for the day.

I actually wrote down what I did....a miracle for me.

Glenda's Mincemeat (meatless)

2 lbs apples peeled, cored (8-10 apples)
1 lbs dark raisins
1/2 lb golden raisins
3/4-1 cup candied cherries
1 cup candied orange peel grated(I made this)
2 cups frozen peaches (I think fresh would work and and I wouldn't even peel them)
2 oranges chopped (from making the candied peel)
1 cup raw sugar (I just had it on hand)(brown sugar would work)
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup boiled down apple cider (can purchase)
1 cup apple cider , almost to the brandy point
(can use brandy)
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

I ran all the fruit including the orange peel through the KA grinder, then added sugars, ciders and spices, mixed and cooked for about 20 to 30 minutes. I let it 'ripen' at room temperature for a few days and then decided to cook it down and store in the fridge in a 1/2 gallon jar. I think it needs to age several weeks before using. If you use liquor, you wouldn't even need to put it in the fridge.

I tasted along to get it to my taste for sweetness, spice and tanginess (hardened cider). I was looking for a remembered taste. It was lots of fun. Now I am sending my sis two cups to see what she thinks. She is the real talented cook in the family.

2 comments:

  1. Hm. Okay, I have always detested mincemeat. Just typing the word makes my stomach quiver a bit. But, reading your meatless recipe, I'm thinking I might be able to tweak it even further to suit our tastes. Of course, by the time it's done, it may not be recognizable as mincemeat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! I have bought a bottled expensive mincemeat with brandy in it and it was delicious! Can't remember the name of it. I've made cookies using it, a pumpkin mincemeat pie with the mincemeat as the bottom layer. Delicious! My late FIL loved mincemeat and really liked the pumpkin/mincemeat pie.

    I look forward to trying this recipe.

    Thanks for posting this Glenda.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete