Monday, May 2, 2016

Blackberry Winter and Rhubarb Pie

We are in the middle of Blackberry Winter.  This is what the old timers call a cold snap during black berry bloom and they are fully bloomed out and it is overcast and 50°.

My morning yard tour was in the sunshine which has since disappeared.

From 5/2/16

I still find a few close enough that I can thin to about 6 inches apart.

Nepeta with iris.  There is a touch of blue on the iris....
From 5/2/16


The next is a close up of bloom on nigella damascena/Love in a Mist.  This annual self-seeds heavily in the foundation beds.  I leave all of them.  They seem to be taller this year.

This is another remaining rose that hasn't grown as it should.  I think it is a Hybrid Musk  'Felicia' and is very fragrant.  I am going to try to really take care of the few remaining roses that I have and see if I can get them to their maximum.
 performance.
and another rose, in the old cistern surrounded by chive blossoms.  It is a polyantha rose from Chamblee's Roses in Texas and may be Marie Pavie or Daly.
</

Food 

I saw this recipe other other day and wanted to try it.  I always make my rhubarb pie the way Mom did...that means no eggs and all white  sugar.  The pie turned out great and was delicious.  I have made several of her recipes and she takes beautiful pictures of the food.  Thibault's Table. 
At first I thought mine  was as tasty but then the second day, I appreciated it more and liked the way there was no runny filling causing the bottom crust to get soft.  I might just make it  again.....if I can ever get rhubarb to grow here!  This was from my Sis's patch.




Max is even enjoying it.....maybe he is just desperate since I am not baking nearly as much these days.

5 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with Chamblee's Roses- I am going to investigate that.
    And that pie! Oh my- it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, love seeing all of your flowers. A great uplifter for our not-much-blooming-up-here-yet! (Can we send our bees down to you for about a two-week vacation in your flowers?)

    Rhubarb pie is just about my all-time favorite. Our rhubarb plant is 4-5" high now, the nubs just starting to unfurl. BUT I have two more packages of Rhubarb Pie Mix in the freezer from last year. Matter of fact, our daughter just last night hinted strongly for me to use one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if Blackberry Winter is only in our area? Not the cold snap, the saying.

    Dad loved rhubarb pie.

    Used to have Love In A Mist but lost the seeds long ago. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL about not baking as much...I pretty much stopped too because of you know who. That rhubarb pie does look tantalizing though, Glenda. Your blooms are so far ahead of ours...Nepata is a favorite of mine and those self seeding annuals are GORGEOUS!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda,

    Haven't had rhubarb pie in ages, looks good.

    ReplyDelete