Sunday, July 30, 2017

Miscellaneous News from the Farm

The weather here today is just perfect.  Sunny, and  was 58° this morning and the high will be mid-80's.  This is the cool snap  that followed a glorious 2.5 inch  rain a  couple of days ago.  We were very dry before that.

I finally have my screened porch back!  We moved the two kittens outside to join the other outdoor kitties.  The are loving it.  They about destroyed my porch, tore loose a corner of the screening, left hair all over the cushions....to say nothing of the daily litter pan chore.  I enjoyed my morning coffee there for the first time in a long while.

I can't remember where I left off last so will  just tell you what comes to mind.

First of all, I was very pleased with myself  that I was able to  go out  each morning and begin trying to get the weeds under control.  Max and I both had 2 week summer colds that really hit us hard.  I only did what was absolutely required (none of it outside).  The strawberry bed and  the compost area were wall to wall (or fence to fence) with 4 foot tall crabgrass and  lamb's quarter and the odd red-root pigweed.  It required a grubbing hoe and then yanking out the huge clumps.  I got it done after about three days.

This is the compost area before weeding:

and after:

The small hoop is covered with another favorite pole bean, Trail of Tears.

The east end where I planted eggplant was almost as bad.  I hadn't seen the eggplants in days.....got them  cleaned up.  I have tiny fruit setting.  Every bug in the universe seems  to love  the foliage of  them.

Tied up the very promising row of tomatoes.  Varmints (ground hog) got all the pears again.  Next will be the  apple tree as soon as it reaches their peak of sweetness.  I didn't plant sweet corn this year but finally caught the nearby truck farm for their harvest and got 4  dozen beautiful, delicious ears for the freezer.

I finally got the blasted Stihl trimmer going and did the east front ditch and the area abound the well house.

Max is still on a soft  foods diet which means no bread unless it is softened with
broth or a gravy of some  sort.  After trying 'store' bread again, I decided I would still make my own even if it just for me.

This one is whole wheat (actually half and half).

Some flowers are still blooming well:  zinnias (all self-seeded), garden phlox and old fashioned petunias. These petunias are my favorites.  I hope they will re-seed and stay with me for several years as they usually do.



There were lots of butterflies on the flowers this  morning.  I was really happy to see that.  So far, the only bees are the carpenter bees.

And one last cow picture (they were in the lot west of the house laying in the early morning shade:

12 comments:

  1. How very nice to see those butterflies! I have only seen one or two all summer, that makes me sad :( I planted a "bee and butterfly" flower mix all over the garden, but it's been so cold and rainy that the flower are JUST starting to bloom this morning! Fingers crossed! Your bread looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I saw a few earlier in the season and then none until yesterday and today.
      The flowers are swarming with them; even saw a Monarch this morning. I love seeing them. I just wish we had more honey bees.

      Delete
  2. I don't see as many butterflies as I once did and wonder what's happening to them. The weather has been much nicer here the last couple of days and the nights are nice and cool. Love it. I'm sure the animals outside love it, too. I've felt sorry for them during those high heat and humidity days. We still have August to get through, so I guess we'll have more heat to endure, but a little break from it is nice. Loved seeing your photos and that bread looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max always reminds me how hot September can be here....like you I am enjoying this while it lasts.

      Delete
  3. I missed if you said why Max is on a soft foods diet. Hope all is well with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a cyst on his jaw bone. Saw an oral surgeon and found the cyst had grown so large it had stretched his jaw bone to the point of breaking....so soft foods until either it strengthens enough for surgery or ???? We see the doctor August l0. It was not malignant thankfully. Thank you for asking.

      Delete
  4. I always love to see your pictures. We finally had a nice rain, but most of the garden is dead. Still have cucumber vines which have just begun to yield, and still picking off squash bugs, nothing to harvest still yet. Getting a little frustrating. All the tomatoes are dead except for some Egg Yolk and some Brown Berry Cherry. I started a couple of pepper plants late, they are still very small, may not get a crop at all. And the broccoli and brussel's sprouts plants made it thru summer, I hope they'll hold off making anything till nights are chilly as they need a chill. Still have sweet potatoes in their bed. Ummmm, nothing else. What are your other favories besides Trail of Tears for green beans? I'm looking for a replacement for Lazy Housewife. I can't seem to find decent seed and I lost all my seed in a couple of crop failures. Tell Max I hope he's well soon. Hugs xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you have been so dry. We have been good up until mid-July and then I just watered a very few things.

      The pole bean is Early Riser. It started out being called Kwintus. It is a Romano flat-type bean. It gets really long and stays tender and pretty stringless for a long time. Some of mine had beans formed and that cooked out but were still tender. Mom called those shellie beans, her favorite.

      Thanks for the good wishes for Max. We will know the l0th.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found and started following your blog tonight! Glad you were able to get some things done in the garden. The butterflies are lovely! and The bread you baked looks professional!
    Hope you are both fully over the colds!

    ~ Emily from So Sunny Day

    ReplyDelete