Monday, January 22, 2018

Bread Day Again and Carpenter worked Again!


We got a wonderful 2 inch rain overnight.  We may get caught up before spring comes.  No storms, just a gentle steady rain.  It is very warm, unseasonably so, but we will enjoy it while it lasts.

Yesterday was break-making day.  I decided to do the Hodgson Mills white bread.  I always use unbleached while flour, King Arthur preferred brand. This bread calls for three rises and I normally do them.  This time it took a lot longer that the hour rise of each.  I didn't set the timer and got involved (with the computer).  The dough had risen over the sides of the bowl and was hanging down almost to the counter!  It had a bit of a  yeasty, sour-dough smell but I made up the three loaves, baked and it  was great.  I could still detect a bit of sour-dough flavor but we  enjoyed our sample piece and it toasted beautifully this morning.

Wish I had taken a picture of it hanging over the bowl....but panicked and didn't.

They are my usual lop-sided shape.  I keep meaning to make the loaves smaller so they don't pop open on one side.......

The new chickens are still laying nicely for us.  I now have 2 dozen colorful ones in the fridge.

Miscellaneous Pictures


She is (it think it is a she) one of the barn kittens a passing Mama Cat had in our barn.  As soon as they were weaning age, she took off leaving the babies behind.  She seems to be special friends with  our Tommie (bottle raised) which is a little worrisome.   Time  will tell.


15 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cat! And great looking bread as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked the flavor; I may let it raise too long the next time....or even overnight.

      Delete
  2. I'm mixing up a batch of roll dough. It's the first time to make them, so I hope they turn out good. Your bread looks wonderful. I need to make a loaf soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get addicted to bread-making, it gets easier and easier. I have a great recipe for cinnamon rolls.

      Delete
  3. I've been baking spelt sourdough loaves every 2 weeks. They have to 'sour' for 12-14 hours to develop. I finally found out why my loaves were lopsided - my stove wasn't level. Now, though the tops still open up, it's all even. Who knew! LOL That is one pretty kitten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know my oven isn't level but I never thought about it affecting bread.
    I must say after eating more of the long-rise bread, I like the flavor better. Maybe I would like sourdough bread???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make your own starter from scratch it will taste particular to your region and the wild yeasts/bacteria. Everyone thinks sourdough should taste like San Francisco (which I find TOO sour). My homegrown gal (I call her ReMona) makes a medium tang and very tasty. You've read my sourdough entries on my blog. If you need help starting one, get in touch. Sourdough

      Delete
    2. Kris, you have me on a roll now about sourdough bread! I have printed out King Arthur's info and recipes for using tossed starter and will go back and re-read your blog about it. It has peaked my winter dormant mind!

      Delete
  5. There's nothing better than homemade bread! And that is one gorgeous kitty! Does she let you pet her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, she has just begun coming up to me and I can 'almost' scratch her chin. They have never been handled much. I will keep trying.

      Delete
  6. I have been a bread baking sloth lately. We've got a young man in our community who has been baking sourdough bread once a week (in an outdoor oven even!) and sells the bread on Saturdays. We have a standing order for one loaf of rye and one loaf of white. But, you know what? I miss bread baking here at home. Sourdough bread is supposed to be better for us but I've had such a taste for some of my regular yeast homemade cinnamon bread. Hmmm, can't we have both?? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bake as much for my own entertainment as for the eating. I just love doing it and how it is different every time you make it. Now Kris has me on a tear for sourdough bread.....no telling how that will turn out.

    Make that cinnamon bread and then show pictures and your recipe. I am not completely happy with my last efforts at a loaf of cinnamon bread. I do love it toasted for breakfast.

    Remember, you can always clean house or do a quilting project on the rise. That is my excuse anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that cat! She is even more beautiful than my tuxedo kitties (don't tell them I said that).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glenda,

    Your bread looks amazing! I wish we were neighbors......😊

    Gorgeous pictures! I can't get over how vibrant red the cardiologist is. What an adorable Kittie. Carpentry work, I suppose it's that time of year. We're not having any carpentry work done for a while, had 10 weeks of it....that was enough to hold me for a while.

    Hugs,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited,Thank you for sharing good topic.

    หนังฟรี

    ReplyDelete