Thursday, January 18, 2018

News From the Kitchen

Our warm up has been slow to arrive:  10° here this morning,  but up to 38° this afternoon.
I am ordering a heated pet warmer this morning....maybe that will bring on a heat wave.  Poor DH has been having to clean and refill the myriad cats water twice daily.  This should save him some time and steps.

Kitchen

I have always wondered about making mayonnaise but read a lot of  things about it being very tricky and  many reported disasters or talked about having to re-do it.  What really got me interested is our Son who has been very serious about eating only 'real' foods and zero processed food has tried it with sorry results.

I found an extremely simple and fast recipe by Martha Stewart  that, for a change, didn't call for any exotic ingredients.

https://www.marthastewart.com/340597/basic-mayonnaise

I tried my larger processor but the blade didn't touch the small  amount of egg yolks so I switched to my mini one and used  the two tiny holes in the top to add the oil.  It worked beautifully and  I was delighted with the end result.  We don't normally even  like mayo, but this has a tartness to it and DH and I both liked it a lot.  We had some on a sandwich yesterday.



I  suspect the larger processor  would work if I just started drizzling the oil raising the  level of the ingredients.

 It only keeps a week in the fridge so I will probably be forced into making a  cake!

It can be the base of many salad dressings and other toppings so maybe no cake.

8 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to see a post from you. Was worried about the two of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I just ran out of enthusiasm for posting. My winter life is pretty dull!

      Delete
  2. We love homemade too, but you are right, it expires quickly. I make small batches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kristina. Just found your very interesting blog and will be going back to read more soon.

      I think this 1.33 cup batch will work for us with no waste or need to bake a cake. (ha).

      Delete
  3. I don't use mayo, just mustard. But your homemade mayo looks great - texture & color right on the mark. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't normally, but this was a different flavor. I have already made a dressing with it and used it as a dip for some pork strips.

      Delete
  4. Very nice post really,I apperciate your blog.Thanks for sharing.keep sharing more blogs.

    หนังฟรี

    ReplyDelete
  5. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include. Grupo Fertica

    ReplyDelete