Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Catch Up Time Again

I have been missing for a few days and when I do that it seems harder than ever to take it up again.

Our weather has been a little cooler than normal for us but sunny and bright. I think it is one of the nicest falls we have had in some time.

Yesterday was a busy one.  I had to be at the dental lab for a color  match on my first  crown.  That went well.  I was told it was very tricky because of the color and the density variance.  I was assured that they could do it......we shall see.

Next we stopped by DH's moms. She has not been able  to open her gmail for two months and I kept forgetting about it.  She wasn't home  but we went on inside.  The email was a 'no fix'.  All that had happened was that annoying little add  wanting  you to add a google app to your cell phone for emails was showing up and she didn't know how get past it.  We waited for her for 45 minutes but she is a very busy 94 year old lady!  She had been to church to count the money and then on to 'work out' on the treadmill at Cox's new fancy gym.  Don't we all wish we had her genes!

Back home to a quick ham and cheese sandwich  with our new favorite white mashed potato bread.  DH comments on it every time.  He loves the softness  over the whole wheat variety.  I feel guilty not making the whole wheat though.  My Sis (75) says that's nonsense.  At our ages it doesn't matter.  At least it is filled with real foods and no preservatives or other chemicals.

Late in the afternoon I decided to finish up the Golden Delicious apples---finally.  I made 8 pints of super delicious sauce.  I used the correct cone  on the Victorio strainer this time and was very happy with the results.  This time I cooked  the apple chunks separately from the cores .  I was curious about how much pulp you could get from them.  I got almost 2 pints extra.  There was a tiny bit of dark flecks from the seeds but not nearly as much when I used the wrong cone last time.  It was so much faster than the Foley Food Mill!

DH has decided  my kitchen cabinets, especially around the cooking area are dirty and need to be cleaned top to bottom.  I agreed.  I told him that would be a super job for him in the afternoons and that I had several cleaners and "we" could try each and see which "we" liked better.  Is this the end of the world as I know  it?  I have been married 51 years......this is a first for this kind of cleaning by him voluntarily or otherwise.  I am loving it.  I will let you know if he actually follows through........

Update on Soap

It is still curing but I have tried the white soap and it has great lather.  I may take shower with it this  morning.  It passed the lick test but needs to harden  more.

From Soap 2012

From Soap 2012


This is a milking morning, so I need to head out.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, amazing MIL. I wish I was flexible like her.
    Love your soap. I am still leary of trying soap. I want to, as I need to do goat milk soap for my skin. I finally found coconut oil at Wally, and I think when I go there on market day, I will get some. I have everything else. It just makes me a little nervous about handling lye. Do you have a recipe listed for goat milk soap? I can't remember if you did or not. I can't remember if you have other recipes posted.
    I am going to try that potato bread this weekend.
    I need to blog, but have been trying to get stuff done around the house. I also have had muscle cramps in my legs and I can't stand too long, its been so very painful. I think that my electrolyes are off.
    Its been beautiful here. Most of the week its suppose to be in the 70's, so we may get the outside work done till spring.
    Have a wonderful week, Glenda.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will email you the goat's milk recipe I used this time. If you can, you should not be afraid of lye.

      Just don't breathe the fumes when adding it to the liquid. I open the sink window no matter the weather. Also be sure the milk is slushy frozen and have the bowl sitting in a pan of ice.. You have to be careful the lye doesn't cook the milk.

      Delete
  2. I love that fact that your husbands mother is up and just doing her thing. It's great to be feeling healthy and vibrant at her age, I pray we all are the same at her age.

    Your soap looks amazing, are you planning on selling any of it?
    Don't work to hard this week Glenda. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I never sell anything.....I am not that accomplished at soaping. I just do if for us and the family. The goat's milk will go to my daughter (most of it anyway).

      Delete
  3. Ok, inquiring minds want to know......
    What is the "lick test"?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it tastes salty,it is good to go; if it burns it is not. To make is last longer and be a harder bar, the longer aging is required.

      I did take a shower with the white bar this morning using one of the two scrap pieces. My skin did not disintegrate.......

      Delete
  4. I wondered about that lick test, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog. I would love to do what you are doing when I retire. But you do so much, I don't know if I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do as much as you think! I read a lot.....and I don't keep house as well as I should. Trust me on that.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the blog. Vicki, I was scared to make soap, too, but it's easy peasy. I take my pan outside to put the lye in, and then carry it into the house after the "fume stage" has passed. If you do that, though, I wonder if your neighbors will think you're making meth? I told my neighbors not to worry if they saw me making soap but none of them had even noticed. You are crowded in closer though.

    I need to scrub my kitchen cabinets, it's been a year since the remodel and our careless messy hands on the cabinets have taken their toll. The silver paint did not stay on the handles so they look terrible. I need to mop the floor, too, might get that done later today after I get Hubs settled in from his surgery.

    The soap looks wonderful. I, too, wonder what the brown soap is? Hugs, Ilene

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are starting the big cabinet cleaning project today! My job will just be getting the supplies together. He will get to choose what he wants to use. I am hoping this will be his project after that. I think my right arm is beginning to ache.....again.

    I know it is expensive but have you thought about buying all new hardware. I love my antique pewter looking ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what an amazing woman your MIL is! That is wonderful! I've been away from blogland myself and I know just what you mean about how hard it is to get back in the groove.

    The soap looks wonderful! And lucky you to have your hubby volunteer to do some cleaning. I'd faint if my hubby ever offered to do that...I think he's allergic to the kitchen! Ha!

    ReplyDelete