Friday, October 5, 2012

This was one of those days that plans changed....I was all set to begin the apples but realized we were almost out of bread and I saw Chickens In The Road had posted a good-sounding iced soft oatmeal raisin cookie so.........

I did both.

Cooking

The bread was from a recipe  for 'best ever potato rolls' on http://grannymountain.blogspot.com/ 
Thank you Joyce for sharing with us.

 I wanted to  try it as two loaves of a soft white bread that would be good for sandwiches.  It turned out well and tasted super.  I did modify it a bit with l more teaspoon of yeast.  I probably should have left it alone because one side ballooned out but my other recipe  for two loaves and 6 cups of flour called for two packages of yeast. I wasn't factoring in that one was a whole wheat bread and the other was not.  

and the cookies,

 

Tip on cookies:  Do not get in a  rush and put two or more sheets in the oven at one time.  I did that and before I knew it, the bottom pan was way too brown (burned) on the bottoms....chickens were very pleased.

The recipe is on Suzanne's blog, Chickens in the Road.

12 comments:

  1. Do all of your breads balloon out on one side? Perhaps one side of the oven gets more heat than the other? I know that the right side of anything I bake gets a little 'fuller' than the left, so I turn stuff after the first 10-15 minutes.

    I'll bet your kitchen smelled wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought about that. I will move them around the next time.

      It did smell good; nothing beats the smell of bread baking.

      Delete
    2. I think things like that are dealt with in convection oven where fans distribute the heat much more evenly. When I make Irish soda bread, I've gotten to the point when I spread the dough on the sheet I make it so that one side is shorter than the other from the get-go. In the end, both sides are baked to the same height.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Cookies for the chickens! I have that problem with the bottom rack of my oven. I should do more baking in my oven out in the garage, it's bigger and has that fan in it.

    Those cookies look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell the aroma of freshly baked bread and those delicious looking cookies. You had a productive day, even if you didn't get to the apples.

    Have a lovely weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will begin the apples this morning....they will smell good too.

      Delete
  4. Oh man, those cookies look good.
    Lucky bugger chickens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our chickens go crazy over any kind of bread, cake, cookies, or cornbread. They don't get nearly as excited over other scraps.

      Delete
  5. The house must of smelled like heaven with bread and cookies baking.
    I'm hungry this morning, and after viewing todays post today I wanted homemade bread and cookies with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had one with my first cup of coffee. They aren't too sweet even with the icing which I like.

      Delete
  6. Oh, these look good! I've probably said it before, but I'm trying to stay away from sugar as much as I can, but it's hard! I've got my eye on an apple bread recipe I saw yesterday. Fall is definitely here and it's rainy (yay!) and much cooler, so I don't mind turning on the oven now.
    Have a great weekend, I hope you're getting some rain, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always bake two sheets of cookies at the same time but have to rotate the sheets (top to bottom and bottom to top) halfway through the baking time. It's a pain but goes faster than baking just one sheet at a time.

    I think your bread looks wonderful. Heck, I'll eat the loaf with the ballooned out side! Cookies don't look bad either. ;o}

    ReplyDelete