Thursday, October 18, 2012

Soap Making Days

I have put it off for so long....but at last, I had no real excuse not to get busy.  I got out all my supplies and worked up two recipes, one for goat's milk with oatmeal and honey and one a super skin conditioning soap.  My skin gets very dry this time of year.

They both turned out......but I  won't really know until I can use some about 6 weeks from now.

My daughter had ordered the oatmeal bars.  I used lavender and rosemary to scent both batches.

As I looked at the mess in the kitchen, a thought occurred to me..................I am  going to move all soap making supplies out to the Milk Parlor.  I may have to buy a new shelving set up but It will be nice to get it all out of the kitchen and off the back porch.  I think DH is starting to worry....

The weather was cool and very windy today. 

11 comments:

  1. Making soap is something I would love to learn. One day, I will.

    The weather was windy here too, in fact we had a major dust storm roll on through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dust for us thank goodness. We are too wet! I didn't think I would be able to say that again.

      Delete
  2. It must have been a soap making day. The hubby made a batch of pine tar soap. He cut it into bars today. Now for the drying process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you all made soap. I used to keep pine tar for animal wounds. What do you use the soap for?

      Delete
  3. Can't imagine what Max is worried about, unless it's that you'll move entirely out to the milking parlor! I notice that we're about 4 or 5 bars away from being out of soap too... hope to get the last of the tomatoes, peppers, carrots and squash out of the way so I can get out the soaping supplies. A milking parlor here with an extra stove and refrigerator would be a marvelous thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Susan. He is worried that I will be taking up all the room for my stuff and he won't have room for the exercise 'crap'.

      I was down to 5 bars too. It is too soon to see how the conditioning bar is. It seems pretty soft this morning.

      Delete
  4. I think making soap out in the milk parlor is a super idea!

    I'm still using the lavender-scented soap I made. I made a second batch scented with cedar, I was hoping Hubs would try but so far no progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Max is so easy....he uses it without hesitation....my BIL still won't use what I made for my Sis. He likes to jab me now an then; can't imagine why. Why I have never done a single ornery thing to him.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea to move your soap making out to the milk parlor. Can you dry the bars out there too? The move will give the kitchen more room for baking! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I can keep it above freezing very easily and with the new door (still not in place) it should be even tighter.

      Delete
  6. I can just smell that delicious aroma! Can I be a daughter too??? I need to make some, see the directions on Pinterest and I'm very tempted. I would have to use the kitchen though... that might mean no food for dinner if I get up to my elbows in soap!

    ReplyDelete