Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Fall in my own Yard

4 AM, 24°.  We are a little cooler than norm  now but the rest  of the week promises to be very nice.  A possibility of rain exists for the weekend.  We ended up with an inch over the weekend.  The grass is still  looking very good for the cows.

I was afraid my October Glory maple  tree was going to loose  all its leaves before turning color but it didn't.  It has had better years, but no wonder with the summer  we had.



One of the first things we did when we moved here in 1991 was plant  4 new trees on the west side of the house to replace some we have to have taken down due to rot or storms.  I know now I planted them too close to the house but I chose the same locations  the previous trees were in......too late now.


This was taken looking northwest just before the rain came in.


I planted starting from south to north, a Swamp Oak (does not require a swamp to flourish), a White Oak, a Pin Oak and the October Glory red oak.
The Swamp Oak  doesnt show in this only the white (left to right) and the pin oak.
From Fall 2012


This is the Swamp Oak.  The bark is a highlight of this tree.




and this is how I leave my yard; I love the leaves over the grass.,


I saw these way across the field to our west boundary fence.  This is with the 12x zoom:






8 comments:

  1. Great photos of fall happening right there at the farm and look at all of those turkeys. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Glenda, you make me laugh. I saw that title and was horribly afraid I was going to read that you'd stumbled in the yard and couldn't get up! LOL Glad to see it was all about Autumn, and not accident.

    My my, that's a lot of drumsticks walking around out there! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about the possible double meaning. I haven't had a bad fall in a very long time....hope to keep it that way.

      Turkey season is over so no drumsticks from them for us.

      Delete
  3. I love the red of the leaves. That's my favorite fall color. And look at the turkey's! Will one of those be on the table at Thanksgiving? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DH is not a hunter or a fisherman; never has been. Our turkey will be a Butterball from the supermarket.

      Delete
  4. The changes of fall in your yard are beautiful. I love all the colors the red, yellow(gold), brown and the green grass. This time of year in areas not where I live Autumn/Fall is just so majestic. Here today, when I look outside everything is dead or died off until Spring.

    I say, you have all kinds of Turkey's around your homestead. There's enough turkey there for the next several months, lol..... Are you having Turkey for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it will not come from the farm! Turkey season is over but it is now deer season. DH doesn't hunt anything; I am not sure he could even kill a chicken anymore. He doesn't like killing things.

      Delete
  5. Those turkeys probably know when hunting season starts and ends, don't they? You have some lovely fall colors there.

    ReplyDelete