Sunday, March 22, 2015

Butter Making

It is another beautiful day here.  I went out to help process Jewel's milk and to stroll the yard.  DH was right, I need  to mow and not just the leaves.

First thing in the Milk Parlor was to skim yesterday's cream off.  I had strained the milk into my old faithful large McCoy crock.  That makes skimming so much easier.  Her cream is so thick and heavy, I have  to scrape it off the spoon into a jar.  This made day two of skimming so I have a quart of heavy cream and that is the limit my food processor can handle without overflow.

It took less than 5 minutes for butter to arrive.



I strained it through a double layer of cheesecloth and then began the washing which is just running cold water over it and squeezing until the water stays almost clear.  Then I salt it.



I ended up with over a pound of butter.  Notice how much yellower it is than 'store' butter?  That is Jersey milk for you.


We may start milking her daily.  We are leaving the baby on her 24/7 so we are sure she is getting all she wants and we are too.

Strolling pictures:

A few daffodils are blooming:



and the Korean Boxwood by the back door is blooming and getting fragrant.  I wish I could describe the scent, but I can't  come up with a word.  I notice some say English boxwood smells like cat p***. Well mine certainly doesn't.  I suspect not everyone would like it; it is not a flowery scent at all.



I finally got my lonely rhubarb plant  heavily manured.   

Note:  New Header Pictures The flock of turkeys has been spending time in the west lots.   This is the first time I have caught the tom displaying his tail feathers.  I counted over 20 and quit since they were spread over two fields and in several groups.


9 comments:

  1. That's sure beats rocking with a gallon glass jar...although we enjoyed that. Granny has many stories to tell why we "churned".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even have an electric gallon Daisy churn but would have to save a few days to use it. It couldn't go much faster than the Cuisinart.
      Did you even make ice cream in a gallon syrup bucket buried in crushed ice and then turned the top of the bucket with your spread fingers?

      Delete
  2. That's some nice looking butter! How much salt do you use per pound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't measure but I am guessing about 1/2 tsp. I taste as I work it in.

      Delete
  3. A pound of butter! Just the right amount for a pound cake.

    I think my boxwood smells like grape Kool-aid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could describe what mine smells like. I have an iris that smells grapey. I ended up using about 1/2 cup butter making a large batch of bread.

      Delete
  4. Glenda,

    OMG.....homemade butter and you made bread!!!!!! Were on our way to your place for all the goodies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butter looks delicious! I can only imagine how good it tastes! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Jean. It is good! I hope I can get some made ahead and freeze for when she is dry.

    ReplyDelete