Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Some Winter Pictures....and birds

Since I last posted we have had another 5 inch snow.   The last two days have been above freezing so it is slowly melting down.

I took a few random pictures when I went out to feed the birds last:

This is standing in front of the kitchen window looking south to the road.



And this is the feeder, for once outside looking in:



and this was taken this morning looking out that same window:



Do you remember that huge Elm tree we had along the drive I referred to as my 'feeding' tree for the birds....well, sadly , we had to have it taken out and I have missed that feeding tree and so have the birds.  I just realized this week that the sapling peach tree right outside the kitchen window in the hummingbird bed had become  a much smaller version:





Random other photos:

The Harris Sparrow:



and the country night light:

From march 2015 blog photos


and one of the many cats.  You can rarely snap a shot without a cat  (or DH) being in the shot:



Food

A Romertopf Chicken

From cooking


12 comments:

  1. Great photos Glenda. Like your new feeding tree and what a delightful grouping of birds.

    Hope your weather continues to warm up and snow melt.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun is shining brightly today; we are on our way to a complete melting again.

      Just bought some Florida strawberries!

      Delete
  2. Not exactly sure what that Rome'is chicken is, but it looks yummy.
    And thanks for the sparrow ID; we have them here as well but I never bothered to find out what type they were.
    Don't worry, that snow won't be gone.....more tonight! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, it is just a clay covered cooker. A gift. It does do a great job for certain foods. Unlike a slow cooker you bake at 450° and food cooks pretty quickly and browns nicely.

      Delete
  3. Your bird photos are beautiful. The best way to see the birds color is against snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I love to see the Cardinals against the snow.

      Delete
  4. Way back I'm pretty sure I had a Romertopf casserole. I have no idea whatever happened to it. Hunkered down for some wet weather on top of the snow today. So tired of winter - and now too lazy to even cook to pass time. Your flock of cardinals sure appreciate the new feeding tree. Lovely birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, hang in there! We are promised 60's next week. I am planting eggplant seeds this weekend......

      Delete
  5. Glenda,

    I need to hang a few bird feeders off of our windows, this way we can appreciate watching the birds more. My large feeder is out past my garden, and it's impossible to watch the birds from inside the house. Great bird pictures, love them!!!!

    Your chicken dinner looks inviting, were heading your way :) YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I even hung a feeder on the west side where DH can watch them. That feeder is farther away but just maybe 15-20 feet. He still enjoys it. I should move the shepherds hook next to his window and relocate the feeder.

      Delete
  6. This much snow is unusual for you, right?

    We don't have the Harris sparrow up here (northern MN) but they sure are pretty! Loved seeing your cardinals. They aren't common in our area but we had a pair of them for three years year 'round which was very unusual. We just commented today that we haven't seen either of them all winter. I'm hoping they just decided to go south for the winter and will be back this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I have seen an 18 inch snow in March. It is unusual to see them back to back and with the lower than normal temperatures so that the snow covers the ground for such a long time. We are warming up this coming week!

      Delete