Sunday, March 15, 2015

Jewel Calved! and first outside yard work.

I am thinking Spring is here at last.

I actually worked outside this morning for a couple of hours.  DH charged the battery on the riding mower so I could hook up  the garden cart.  Those small batteries do not like cold weather.

I checked the chickens....no eggs.  I  did find where the possum came into the larger chicken yard....sneaky rascal.  I am now down to 8 hens and one is pretty old.  I may enlarge the flock this spring.

I dug up some henbit for the girls and tossed it to them before I came in.

Gardening

I thinned the broccoli's and cauliflower and put them under a cold frame (aka. shower door propped against garden fence).  I hope to plant them out in a few days.

I saw where DH had been driving across a planting of my beautiful cream colored iris.....they were in a very bad location.  They were barely showing green tips so I decided to relocate  them before he did permanent damage to them.  The ground was so soft  that lifting them was very easy.   I replanted them in what used to be the Ash Tree Bed  right next to the patio and drive.  I need to rename that bed since the Ash Tree is no more.  I still have several smaller tubers left.  I haven't decided where to put them yet.....maybe a nursery row to grow on.

I burned off the grasses too. 

Egg plant is up....3 plants only; Vinca is coming up. 

Will be planting tomatoes and peppers soon.

I had plans to finish cleaning the  dog/puppy pen but ran  out of steam.  That will be next on the list.

Farm

Now for the good news:  Jewel calved March 13, Friday with a beautiful light red heifer calf.   I never see my milk cows  bred even though they are very close to the house.....beef cattle seem shy!  I am assuming she was bred by Willow's two year old dark red bull calf that I kept for breeding.  He is beautiful and I think is out of another black Angus, shorthorn cross bull (also Willow's) so he is 3/4 Milking Shorthorn and 1/4 Black Angus  (if I am figuring correctly).  So  her new baby is half Jersey and 3/8 Milking  Shorthorn and 1/8 Black Angus.  Whew!  She is a little doll.

From Jewel's Second Baby

If I am correct on who bred Jewel, then this is Papa and Mama at the feeder:


Her teats were so skinny after  the first calf that milking was difficult  (we didn't have the milking machine then  either) so I think things look more promising now:


Other news is we finally with our help gathered up the beef calves ready for sale and were very pleased that prices were still very good.  I know that isn't good news for  people buying meat, but it made us happy.  Sorry.

Hope the weather is nice in your area and you can finally enjoy the outdoors!

11 comments:

  1. Your new little calf is adorable and I love her coloring.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLdy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a "little gem", Glenda. I cannot wait to begin working outside!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more outside for me; the last two days have been rainy and cold! I will be planting tomato and pepper seeds inside the barn though.

      Delete
  3. Glenda,

    Enjoy spring!!! Adorable pictures of this little calve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our spring took a hike and the last two days have been in the 40's and rainy! WE do need the rain though.

      Delete
  4. Yes she does. I never see these girls bred and we also had a Black Angus bull with them part of the time. I just assumed the red bull because her first calf was very black! I might be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you've got milking candidates lined up for several years now! Good-looking calf.

    Like you, I work till I run out of steam, and seems like that's sooner with every year. I'm looking forward to when the irises bloom -- my favorite time of year. Some of my new ones bloomed last year, I'm looking forward to seeing if they all will, this spring. Some of the lilies bloomed last year, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember you wanted Champagne Beige and if it blooms this year, I promise to dig some up for you. I have a few daffs blooming now. I have lost a lot over the years and want to replant more every fall now.....easy care things are the best for me these days.

      Delete
  6. She's beautiful! Congratulations on a heifer. Of course, the main thing is that they're healthy, but a little girl is a big bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leigh, glad you dropped by. Yes, for me a heifer is always good. She will make someone a very good family cow in about two years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the little heifer and although we won't be buying beef, I am glad to know a local farmer is getting a good price for all their (your) work! :)

    ReplyDelete