Thursday, December 29, 2011

At long last I am ready to end my blogging break.....

Just to catch up.  We did go to St. Louis as planned and had a very good visit with the grandkids for three days.
We came home Sunday December 18.  Now at this point I had no decorations up for Christmas since we had expected a New Year's visit from our daughter and her family.  Two days after getting home DH got very sick with an intestinal virus thing that just knocked him out for two days....just as he was getting a little better, it hit me.....hard!  I was sick for 4 days.  For 9 days we didn't get off the farm.......about two days ago I began feeling more normal but just a little weak.  Today I feel back to my norm.  This was the first time we have been sick in probably 30 or more years!  I think this is a new virus

I even milked this morning.  I am happy to report we had Willow's milk stored for about 10 days and it stayed beautifully sweet and good the entire time.  I was pleased about that; it tells me I am being very sanitary processing the milk.

The weather here today is beautiful with a breeze and beautiful sunshine.  I think we are supposed to be up to 60° by the weekend.

We still aren't sure about holiday plans.  I do know I don't plan to put up decorations for just one day....even though there will be some disappointment I know.  I will decorate the dining room and put the gifts on the table and try to make it look somewhat Christmasy.  I am hoping I can handle a turkey dinner.....I take rest breaks every hour or so.

 I made our favorite pound cake today.  I got the recipe from Allrecipes and it is called Gina's Poundcake.
It is unique in the way it is baked starting in a cold oven.
From Blog photos

I will freeze this if no company appears....
I have also made a batch of sugar cookies I will bake at the last minute and decorate ....  or freeze.

I also made a batch of Honey Oat Bran Bread.  We were out and I like having extra on hand for company.


An unexpected  Gift:

I was at my MIL's the other day and I spotted this quilt on top of some discard boxes in her garage.  I asked her where she got it.....it is from her MIL and used to be red and white but faded like this when she laundered it. She had it on the trash pick up stuff....she asked if I wanted it and I told her yes!  It is 100% hand made.  I laid it on the dining room table before putting it away and like the way it looked so....here it now rests.


She told me she has others......I haven't seen them yet.

This is enough catching up.   I have been trying to read and respond to everyone's blogs and hope I haven't missed anyone.





8 comments:

  1. Was just thinking about you today...we miss ya! Sorry to hear about the nasty bug you guys got. DD & I got a cold over the Christmas weekend & are still trying to get over it. I blame it on going to Harrison for some grocery stocking up. Too many people & too many germs going around. Even with a bottle of hand sanitizer & the kid & I reeking of the stuff all the day, we just couldn't ward off the heebie-jeebies from the crowds.
    Hope you have a nice Holiday dinner; take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope that both of you are feeling better. I had a viral tummy bug last Feb and it knocked me on the couch for over a week. Then it took several weeks to get my strength back where I could function and forget about eating, that took another few weeks to even stand to eat food, let alone smell it.
    I am so glad you are back. I am glad you had good holidays also.
    Take care
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you all had that nasty virus-takes awhile to bounce back from things now.

    Good to see you posting again. Love quilts and that one is a treasure! Your baking looks delish as usual.

    Can't believe this great weather we are having-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear you were sick but I'm so glad you're back.

    Love that quilt by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear you were sick. Hope all is well now and that you had a good Christmas. Your bread and cake look very good and the quilt is pretty! Wishing you a healthy and happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...You're back! Sounds like everyone is getting nailed with the "creeping crud". Hasn't hit us yet. Happy NY

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how awful you brought home a virus from your visit. So much holiday food and some of it can turn iffy without knowing it and crowds everywhere. Sorry you and DH were so hard hit but glad to hear you are bouncing back.

    I must say that quilt on the kitchen table looks just wonderful! What a great way to use something unwanted, especially if it's washable. I've got an old worn and weathered quilt I'm going to put on the table in the sunroom. Thanks for the idea. Welcome back to blogging and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness--that quilt! And she has more? Oh, I want to see them. I've picked up old, hand stitched quilts at garage sales for next to nothing. Your quilt looks wonderful on the table. Gosh, that bread looks good!

    ReplyDelete