Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Coconut Oil Biscuits

Up at 3 AM.  It was 20°,  it never got above freezing yesterday so some snow is left on the ground.  The roads are clear.

I have been anxious to try the coconut flavored and scented new oil.  Last night I made buttermilk pancakes and there is a definite very light taste of coconut.  We didn't think it was offensive and DH thought if you didn't tell anyone, they would never notice it.  I know my two kids.....they would.  Our daughter doesn't like anything coconut so I won't be using it when she is visiting.  I will be using it for waffles or pancakes for us.

I didn't really want biscuits again this morning but my curiosity got the best of me.  I made sausage biscuits.  We can taste a faint hint of coconut in them too.  Once again not  bad.  I will probably continue using it for us.  It has zero trans fats and zero cholesterol if you follow that nutritional thing.  I am not sure I do, but still.....I think of DH's heart attack and do watch the cholesterol thing for him.  I made  the biscuits larger and one was our limit.  I left him watching them while I  computed.....they almost got too brown. He is like his mother in cooking, if I tell him so many minutes, then that is what he does. He doesn't check....she doesn't either. 


These are just my regular recipe only using 1/2 cup coconut oil (3 cups flour).  I think I could cut it to 1/3 cup and will try that next time.

This is shopping day,so I will be doing minimal housekeeping before leaving.

I have been laying out cooking supplies to take to St.Louis with me.  They want gingerbread cookies so I am taking my spices.  No sense in them buying a bunch of expensive things that they may never use again.  I am looking for a small plastic case with a handle to take my chef's supplies with me when I travel.  I plan to take cookie cutters, food colorings, and my yeast.  I better print off a couple of recipes too.  I  see beignets in our future.

5 comments:

  1. Brrrr. You are certainly colder than here. We're still in the 30s and it just keeps on raining. They showed on TV last night that we've blown past the previous records. We're glad it IS rain. They say the 2+ inches of rain this week would have been over 20 inches of snow. Yikes!

    Good luck with the coconut oil. I still read so many pros and cons that I'm sticking with my olive and canola oils for now. Gosh those biscuits look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you mind sharing your biscuit recipe? The last post you did with the biscuit picture had DH asking me why MY biscuits didn't look like that. Although I don't roll / cut my biscuits, I'm a mix it & drop it kind'a biscuit gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, you sound like me, taking the ingredients with you when you visit. Guess you are visiting children and grandchildren. I've also taken pans for baking. LOL. I always enjoy your 'weather reports'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do that too, Glenda? Sometimes we bring pots, pans, ingredients along with ourselves!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just love the sound of your biscuits!

    ReplyDelete