Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 14-25




These clouds actually brought us some rain for a change....just 1/2 inch but wonderful!

We have a chance of more over the next two days so we are keeping our fingers crossed.
Looks like our friends in Florida are getting more than their share.  I hope  it is just rain and not the hurricane force winds.

The last  11 days have been filled with normal daily things.  I didn't blog but went back to my daily written journal.

The one thing that stands out is I finally made myself have my eyes checked (after 4 years) and got  new glasses that correct my vision up to 20/20.  I am delighted....no cataract surgery or glaucoma.   My poor Sis has one eye that is so bad they don't even try to correct the vision in it.  I feel guilty when I talk about mine but she assures me that she is thrilled for me.  She reminds me that  I have arthritic problems that she does not have....she's be best!

Gardening

The big news here is I am finally getting blooms on my pole beans and even see a tiny bean!  Maybe my persistent watering is going to pay off.

These are the Dutch White Half Runners.  They bloomed a week ahead of the Cherokee Trail of Tears and are the ones with the tiny bean.  A friend gave me the seed two years ago and this will be my first test.  Last year was a flop too.


I have two rows of the Trail of Tears and they are looking promising,

I am bragging here:   I cleaned most of all the beds of tall weeds and tree saplings!  This was a horrific job using the electric chain saw, dragging the weeds to a central location.  I even had a couple of l0 foot trees.  I will start of the rest of the back garden next week.I now have the option of just mowing the areas and not having iris, dayliliies and the odd herb and perennial if I feel I need to.....and right now that is how I am feeling.  I hope next week to finish the job in the back garden area (the berry patch).  I also have a huge kolreuteria/Golden Rain Tree sapling that grew out of my lilacs and it must go.  It has a 6 inch diameter trunk but is in an easy place to get to.


Cooking

The only thing above normal is made  the cream cheese danish recipe again.  We love it and it makes 4 so I can put the leftovers in the freezer.

I may have already posted the recipe will do it again.  *(I need to organize this blasted blog....maybe this winter).


Cream Cheese Danish Coffee Cake
===============================
Source: Home Cooking Magazine

1 c sour cream
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c butter
1 t. salt
2 packages dry yeast (4 1/2 t.)
1/2 c warm water
2 eggs beaten
4 c all purpose flour

Over low heat in a small saucepan, heat butter, sour cream , sugar and salt until warm and sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.

In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix sour cream mixture with yeast and add beaten eggs and flour. Will be a very soft dough. Put in fridge overnite to rise. ( May be done same day. Put in fridge for about 2 to 4 hours, and then proceed. )

Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead 6 or 7 times. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece out to 12 X 8 inches. Spread 1/4 of filling on to each piece and roll jellyroll style from long side. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on buttered baking sheet and cut X's in top. (About 6 X's) (Danish should be slightly flatten, and about 3 1/2 to 4 inches wide and about 12 inches long.

Cover and let rise until about double in size - approximately 1 hour Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Let cool on wire racks,

Filling
2 packages 8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 c sugar
1 egg beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
1/8 t. salt

Filling: To make filling beat together cream cheese with sugar, add egg and vanilla extract and salt.

Glaze
2 1/2 c confectioners sugar
1/4 c milk
1 t. vanilla extract
toasted sliced almonds.

Combine the first 3 ingredients for glaze and drizzle over loaves with toasted almonds.

The other thing I did was try out Ilene and Diane's  recipe for Amish Cookies.  We really like them a lot.

I wish I had remembered to try the chopped pecans because they truly do taste like pecan sandies.  I have been looking for a cookie with this texture for a long time.  Thank you ladies!

Here are mine:


They posted a link to the original recipe location.  These are certainly worth adding to your cookie recipe collection.  I added a touch of lemon to mine....wouldn't do that if I were using the pecans.

It's sprinkling again!!!!

14 comments:

  1. We have no luck with vegetables at all - we just do flowers. But the fig bush had the most figs we have ever had ... 12. I tried making my first fig perserves. They turned out pretty good, I'll put a picture of my ONE PINT on my blog. Hope you get lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, I would encourage you to keep trying a small area with vegetables! If you can do flowers in that beautiful garden, you can do veggies.

      I have never tasted fresh figs or jam from figs. Fig Newton Cookies are the closest I have ever been.

      Delete
  2. Glad you got your new specs and can see better. Ironically I, too, got my eyes checked last week (after 6 years!) and decided to try glasses. What a difference!

    Glad your rain and cooler temps have rebooted your veg plants. Same here. I'm setting tomatoes and peppers again and may have enough to freeze after all.

    Gosh those Danish looks so wonderful. Sure wish I lived closer. *heh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are younger but I am surprised that you haven't had glasses before. The difference is so impressive, especially for reading.

      No more rain here. Now we are waiting to see if Isaac sends some up our way.

      Try making the Danish. You could freeze the extras and have them for gifts for your helpful friends.

      Delete
  3. Yes, the rain is much welcomed around here, glad you got some. And I know it's horrific for people in the path of hurricanes, but I have to admit I get a bit excited when there's one because it usually means rain for us!
    I'm glad you re-posted that danish recipe, I've been wanting to make something sweet today and I think that will hit the spot :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I hope you tried the Danish. I will check your Blog shortly.

      We are hoping Isaac will send us some rain Thursday and Friday!

      Delete
  4. Darn, I wish I had some cream cheese, I'd make danish right now!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give this recipe a try it is extremely simple. I was short cheese and subbed buttermilk....don't try that! I caused the filling to melt into the danish....still good but I like to bit into the filling. I should have just shorted the cheese amount.

      Delete
  5. Still no rain here at all. The heat is letting up a little, still getting warm during the day but evenings and nights are cooling to the 50's and low 60's. We have had days of 70's daytime temps.
    Pulled the Roma tomato plants, only about a large dishpan full of those. I saved the green tomatoes and am going to attempt chow-chow. Any wonderful recipes you have for that Glenda?
    Thank you for sharing your Danish recipe. I have never made Danish.
    Does Ilene's and Diane's Amish cookie recipe have them posted on their blogs?
    I'll check.
    Have a wonderful weekend and upcoming week.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ilene has a link to click on for the recipe or here it is:

      Amish Sugar Cookies
      1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
      1 cup vegetable oil
      1 cup granulated sugar
      1 cup confectioners' sugar
      2 eggs
      1 teaspoon vanilla
      4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 teaspoon cream of tartar
      Directions
      1.Combine butter or margarine, oil and sugars in large mixing bowl; mix well. Add eggs; beat 1 minute until well blended. Add vanilla; beat well. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. Drop by small teaspoonfuls on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes.

      Delete
  6. Oh my, those cream cheese coffee cakes do look wonderful! You must have air conditioning in the house to be baking this summer as much as you do. Hardly anyone up here (northern Minnesota) has air conditioning because we rarely have a summer like this past one has been (which was TOO HOT for TOO LONG!) and I haven't used my oven for months because of it.

    Glad you're getting a bit of rain . . . hope there is more in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize about the northern states not needing AC! I should have figured that out......Yes, we have central air conditioning. I shouldn't use the oven so much but I do. I shut the kitchen up and open the windows to let the heat out that way I don't cause the air to run more.

      Delete
  7. Glad to see your beans are growing, all that work for nothing defeats a gardener! You are smart to decide what goes and what stays in the garden and yard Glenda. Pick your favorites sweetie and pare down as needed! Thanks for the delicious recipes, you know that's one of the main reasons I love to come for a visit! You are my visit to Mom's/Grandma's for the BEST recipes ever! It sure looked dark as up into Missouri (we are only 15 miles from the border) as we came back from Texas yesterday so I imagine you've had more rain. We had 1 1/2 inches in the rain gauge. Whooo hoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy, I hope you had a wonderful visit in Texas.

    Our total remains at 1/2 inch. Glad you got the 1-1/2 inches. It is very cloudy here this morning but no rain promised. We are hoping Isaac sends more moisture both our ways!

    ReplyDelete