Sunday, August 18, 2013

I was up early again, 3:30 AM, so I am trying to get back in my old  routine of up early, enjoy DH's coffee (he brings it to me at the computer, I have to brag a little...these are some of the blessings of retirement!) while I do my thing on the computer.  Maybe I  can begin  posting a little more.

It is still quite cool.  We are loving it and so do the cows.

Speaking of the cows, I have been wracking my brain about when Willow is due and wondering about my new girl, Jewel.  I could vaguely recall thinking I would give Willow a rest from her usual August calving.  She is getting pretty old.  I also didn't want them calving at  the same time either.

Well if I wrote it down, I haven't found it.  DH found in his drawer where he keeps all things he wants to remember written down on various things (even though I have bought him several notebooks for this) that we turned the bull in February 22 and I finally found by using search on the blog where Jewel has her first heat April 3. So if she settled then we should be looking for a January 10 calving.  Willow is so sneaky, I haven't a clue but she will be fine on her own out with the other cows.  Jewel is still up close to the house.

and here she is looking very fit these days,



I  took this the same day, This is the field east of the house, called the East 20,



Note the bull in the background along the fence; he is on the move early because the neighbor's bull is across the road talking to him,



Random Cat Picture

GD took these when she was down, I think she has a very good eye for photography.





This is probably the pond on the old farm, I think we have seven ponds....



I like this because of the color of the old grass and Sugar.  Her tongue is hanging about because she ran along side of the ATV the entire time they were out,




11 comments:

  1. Sure is nice to see cows deep in grass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos. I love your place and can almost smell and feel being there. Your cool weather sounds wonderful to me.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool weather is now gone but I am not going to complain.....I promise.

      Hope you have a good week too.

      Delete
  3. It has been so delightfully cool here also, Glenda. But I seen on the weather I get on the computer, that its back to hot, hot as of today. It is a little foggy this morning as I type.
    We have not gotten as much rain as you, but we have some. The pasture behind me is very green and in much better shape than when we moved in a few months ago. I am just starting to get tomatoes now, I did not think that I would by the time Fall would roll around. Now I have to start digging out canning equipment and get ready.
    The cattle look good, the cooler weather is great for them, less fly problems. We are having a rabies outbreak around here, so I have been cautious when outside, looking for critters who look sick or are acting strange. There have been reports of cattle dying of rabies and several horses also. Many cats, and lots of skunks and coons.
    Take care and have an awesome week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are back in hot weather again, but not too bad for August.

      I haven't heard of any outbreaks of rabies here. With all these cats that would be trouble. We have seen several skunks near the house but that isn't unusual.

      Delete
  4. Great pictures of the animals at your place. Every one looks content and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been a good year for the cows and, therefore, us!

      Delete
  5. I love seeing the photos of your farm and animals. Such a pretty place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. It is has always felt like home to me from the very first night we were here way back in 1991.

      Delete
  6. In the first picture of Sugar, that isn't a snake down at the bottom of the picture, is it? I tried to enlarge the pic, but for some reason couldn't get it to. I put my glasses on, then took them off and looked. I still can't decide if it may be a snake or maybe the handle of a lawnmower.

    I loved seeing the pictures of the ponds, the cows, and the bull. They reminded me of my Grandma and Grandpa's little farm in the country (Fredricktown, MO) when I was a little girl. You brought back many good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is a funny color, but I am sure it is the handlebars of the ATV. The girls would have been screaming about it if it had been a snake.

      I don't think we have seen over two blacksnakes all year.

      This is an old farm; glad it brought happy memories for you.

      Delete