Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Tuesday. October l, 2013


Stayed out and sprayed more weeds in barn lot. Emptied the sprayer finally. Parked that trailer and exchanged it for the empty one. I pruned vinca and honeysuckle from the dining room porch entrance and the patch of swamp hibiscus (hibiscus moscheutos) that was leaning into the walkway. We loaded all on the empty trailer and dumped it in a depression in the New Bed....sort of another compost pile.
Now all I need to do is sweep up the porch. I also mowed around the porch area.

Inside  I removed storage from the floor of the guest bedroom closet and mopped the floor then sprayed the perimeter of the all with spider spray. We moved the plastic cartons to the milk parlor.
I need to buy two more containers for the rest of the accumulation and also another l or 2 of those stackable shelves to line the wall in the milk parlor. That will just leave me a center path! I am trying to eliminate anything under the beds or on the floor of closets which are hidey holes of brown recluse spiders.

The rest of the time up to Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I got very busy and didn't make a daily journal entry.

I did get the containers and shelf for the Milk Parlor and removed everything from under beds and closet floors. Of course, the Milk Parlor is getting smaller by the minute!

We took the cat to the vet for his booster shots. Our granddaughters came down for the weekend to pick him up. Somehow I was conned (actually just asked and agreed) into making a fried chicken dinner for them and three additional friends (19 + boys) who were friends of our granddaughter, one being a 'special' friend of hers.

We actually saw very little of her over the weekend..................

The house was so empty and quiet after they left Sunday evening that I almost cried. I don't know why it bothered me so much this time. Usually I am a little relieved.

Monday, I told DH that I wanted to get out of the very quiet house. So we took a trip down to West Plains. It was a glorious day, perfect fall weather. We ate at a very good restaurant call Skillet that served so much food we brought half back with us. We took the scenic route highway 14 back to Ava through the Mark Twain National Forest. It is all beautiful country. We may drive down into Arkansas next.

Heading into the MTNF,

We wanted to see an old town that still has a square and courthouse....didn't find it at West Plains but did see one at Ava and will revisit it before bad weather. Ave is the headquarters of the Missouri Fox Trotting Association.

We mowed yesterday afternoon. We had received another 1.5 inches of rain over the weekend. I hope that will be our last mowing but I doubt it.

I think I got a patchy frost one night. I noticed some of the lettuce that was in the shade of the clematis vine was laying flat and felt crunchy. I think it was frost.

Turnip patch is looking good,


  1. You are one busy lady. I love the scenic drive you went on. It would be nice to be able to see that down here, but you have to drive basically to GA to see that, about an 8 hr away drive. :-(

    Enjoy the rest of your week ~ FlowerLady

  2. Glenda,

    It sounds like you've been extremely busy.
    The picture of your turnip patch at first looked like lettuce.
    I need to get some eye glasses, my vision is going.

  3. Ah, there you are, Glenda. Thought you'd gone all AWOL on us. LOL Frost? Really? There? Gosh that's early. Luckily none here - but I'm sure it's imminent. The zins and mums are still going strong. Only thing left in the garden is kale and that stuff can take some frost.

    Sorry you got so down when the kids left but glad you found a way to recoup. Yeah, we've got great cool clear weather here now and I should take Mom for a nice drive now that all her med tests are over. The old highways are still the best for road trips, especially when you aren't really in a hurry.