Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Weather Change is Coming

 Promises to be cooler, good; more rain; bad.  Still no hay.

I read Flower Lady's blog this morning and one of her followers posted a comment about gardens that appealed to me greatly.

She called her Florida lush gardens 'raffish'.   I loved it.  Here is the definiation of raffish:

adjective
adjective: raffish
  1. unconventional and slightly disreputable, especially in an attractive manner.

    "his raffish air"

 That is so much more appealing than weedy, overgrown, untrimmed and all  those ugly things we call  our 'raffish' gardens.
Here is a picture of mine:(one section of raffishness)
Thank you Lynn McIntosh.
Reading Flower Lady's blog always is uplifting; she has a gift.
I went out this morning to check  around and found the grass was very wet.  I wore my Muck boots so my feet stayed dry but I was  kicking up dew drops as I walked.
General Doings
I went into the new chicken yard to check around and decided to let the new  girls out.  They are almost as big as the old ones. All the old chickens (rooster and 4 old hens) went inside and immediately the new girls dashed to the back of their enclosed pen!. Finally one came  out while DH and I were watching.....the rooster went crazy after  her.  Don't know if he had evil intentions or was just excited by a new female prospect.  He  is really much too old but he is still very 'active'.  We rescued her and locked them back up again.....will  try again.
This is a picture I took looking west out of the chicken yard.  The trees are our west property line.
 
The cows in the far west pasture heard the ATV and headed to the barn where DH feeds them.  It is just a small heard of the two milk  cows, their babies, and a couple of others.
They recognize voices and truck and tractor sounds too.
I took some long shots for more perspective of the yard layout and the beds.  Notice the ATV tracks through the wet grass.  DH was heading east to the drive to go check  the beef herd.
 Smokehouse on the left ;house on right (not seen) and looking east at Kerria (old Ash Tree bed)
This is a long shot of the front yard



and this is the alley way between  the tree and shrub border and the house.  It really shields us from the road now.  There are just a few spots to fill in.  We only have one tree left out by the road.


I cooked our first eggplant and the squash from yesterday for lunch. I made a sort of pasta primavera (used canned tomatoes), onions and the sliced squash sauteed in olive oil with a dash of basil over frozen fettuccine that I had made and cooked some time back.  DH never complained about the lack of meat.....we did have grilled (on my grill pan on the range) egg plant slices.  I coated the pan with olive oil and sprinkled on salt and pepper.  Finished it all off with shredded Parmesan cheese.

This was bread day but our granddaughter called and talked while I was in the process so it wasn't ready for lunch.  We had a hot slice later and called  it dessert.


11 comments:

  1. Things are looking great around your place. I like that word too, one that applies here for sure.

    Cooler weather and rain suits me fine. I looked at a thermometer today and wished I had not...104!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 94 is the highest we have hit so far and that is too high. I seem to forget each year how I hate the hot weather.

      Stay out of that southern sun!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for posting the updated views of your spread. That road border sure has filled in from a couple of years ago. Loving your oak leaf hydrangea. Finally got one to replace the huge one that died last Spring. I sure missed mine. Big radar heading our way today. Don't think we'll be able to dodge it. Luckily I've gotten the lawns mowed. At least the temps are lower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We mowed everything today too Kris. Storms are supposed to be headed to us tomorrow. My Sis in Iowa got 4.5 inches overnight. I sure hope none of us get that kind of rain.

      Delete
  3. I always love visiting your farm! The photos are great and everything is looking good! It's nice to be blocked off from the road. You live on a rather quiet road, but it's still great to have your privacy, instead of feeling like your in a fishbowl with everyone 'gawking'.

    How are you enjoying that new screened in porch of yours?

    I have to tell you that I had to look up the word 'raffish' too and loved it!!!! It's how I will describe my gardens from now on too. It's certainly NOT a garden style for everyone, but it is one that is working for me. :-)

    Thank you for your kind words about my blog dear Glenda. That is encouraging to me.

    I need to do some hand watering today. It is supposed to be partly cloudy all day, so that will be nice.

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are enjoying the porch in the wee hours of morning before daylight while it is still cool out.

      We are supposed to get rain tomorrow. I have already had to water my carrots in the half barrel.

      Our Ozarks soil dries very quickly when it is in the 90's and wind is blowing.

      Delete
  4. Loved seeing all the pictures of your place along with the descriptions. I like getting more of a perspective of a person's location. Your area is so lush and lovely. I could definitely live there . . . except for your humidity and high temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually isn't so lush and lovely come July and August! I guess there is no perfect place; but it is home.

      Delete
  5. Glenda,

    Your flowers gardens are so beautiful, and all those green big tree's. I would kill to have all kinds of tree's right now. This part of Oklahoma has been pretty hot too, in the mid to high 90's. They say it's suppose to rain this weekend, and temperatures are suppose to be a tad cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the cool-down without any storms or flooding.

      The flowers are beginning to droop in the heat and after mowing the grass had a gray caste. Rains will help everything except the hay fields......

      Delete
  6. We have had lots of heat and now we are dry as a bone again. Hoping for rain tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night. Your place always looks so much better than mine, I'm afraid I'd have to call mine, "crappish". Heh. Hugs

    ReplyDelete