Wednesday, January 9, 2013

January 6 -8

January 8,2013
I have been doing very little with this cold, but push had come to shove; I had to do some shopping.  I was completely out of AP flour and very low on some other staples like beans.  We  also had to return a past due book.....DH's fault,one of his. I made him stay in the truck since his cold is still so bad.  I picked him out just one more book.

I picked up a bottle of multi-vitamins...and, believe it or not, DH actually agreed to taking them.  I may have to rethink the flu shots.  I don't think he has the flu  though, just a cold.

It was very bright and sunshiny but windy and cold in the 40's.  They are predicating rain overnight but saying it will  hit south of I-44.  We are north of that....still keeping our fingers crossed.

You can see the Cardinals feathers being blown about,


I am getting worried about letting Sugar out to run free for a short time.  Twice now she has headed for the road out  front and she doesn't stop or come to me when I call her.  The great outdoors is so much more fun!
I have discovered that our  old  dog pen which is about 15 x 30 holds her.  So now I can leave her outside in the fresh air as long as she wants.  She was worried  when I walked off but when I went back to get her she ran to the back corner of the pen.....she didn't want out. We left her for about an hour.

DH was planning to get calves up to sell but I told him to wait until he is feeling better; there is no urgency and I know he  doesn't really feel up to  it.

Late in the day I cooked  a large pot of pinto beans....we had a dish for our evening meal and will have  it for the rest of the week.  They were the palest beans I have ever cooked....very strange.

Something else I noticed....normally when we hit Wal Mart after a long absence,the bill  will be around $100; this time is was over $200.  There were no major items on there either.  Shocking.

I made homemade donuts day before yesterday.



I bought a very small deep fat fryer and have used it a  couple of times.  It makes  a big difference in how the end products turns out.  No matter how carefully I monitored the thermometer using a pan of oil on the stove, it would always get too hot and then too cold.

The other thing I got accomplished is I ordered the majority of garden seeds from a company I haven't used before, Swallowtail, but some friends have .  Time will tell how pleased I am.  I forgot to get vinca seeds so I will be looking for them soon.  They are a favorite and very easy from seed. 
This is the year I am purging all the seed inventory and starting fresh.

11 comments:

  1. Dear Glenda ~ I do hope both you and your husband are soon feeling much better. Hope you get some rain too. We had a little yesterday and it was nice. Things were/are really dry and browning up around here.

    Your talk of pinto beans and donuts makes me want to cook and bake.

    I probably should purge all the 'ancient' flower seeds that I have.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colds and leftover virus crud has slowed s for weeks. I'll be glad for spring or warmer weather to open the doors and blow some fresh air in here. I agree with you on prices going up. We had popped in the store for a grocery item and went back a few days later for my daughter (picking up the same item) and it was nearly $1.00 more! Crazy how the prices are skyrocketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you've both been hit so bad with colds. I've taken flu shots since '93. *knock wood* have never had flu since (or a real cold). I like your idea of just starting new with seeds. I have tons in the basement - most of which I know I will never plant. Time for a purge, I think. I DID put some greens to seed under lights (Prop page) down there and am looking forward to fresh salads.

    I was just at Wmt the other day and couldn't believe how little I bought and how much I paid! Yikes!

    January thaw this week with rain this weekend. Thankfully there is a cold after that and maybe more snow. We need more snow/cold here during winter. It's so much better for the plants and kills more bugs.

    Keep warm, take those vits, and have a donut for me! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last time I went to Wally, things really went up and people were REALLY griping at the checkout. I just went to get my staples, sugar, flour, and a few pantry staples and it was higher since the last time I went.
    The cardinal is so beautiful. I don't have them around me, but I do have finches, and juncos. I only see them when its cold and with snow on the ground. I also seen a couple of tufted titmouse bobbing around. They are so very tiny.
    I have to clean out my garden seeds also. It looks like a federal disaster area when I open my bucket up. Enough said about that.
    We are supposed to get freezing rain Thursday sometime,(I hate that), and maybe Friday morning, I hope not, but I have no control over weather. Then cold air again. I can hardle wait until spring.
    I hope that you and hubby get over the colds. They make you feel drained and you just do not have energy to complete even getting up. So far, I have not had anything, but I do herbals and wash my hands and just try to stay away from anyone who I hear sneezing, wheezing, or even looking like they have something. Its hard, but so far so good.

    Keep Sugar penned up, some dogs, especially when young, do not have street smarts, they are too busy sniffing and taking in the outside to worry about roads. Mine has a tendency to do that, and if I can't watch her, she is in my garden area that is fenced off. Its nice to have so she can get the stink blown off of her and me a little time to sweep the floor and clean, she hates the vacuum.
    Have a wonderful rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you have a ready made pen for Sugar!! You'd hate to loose her to a car accident. Didn't get a flu shot this year, and haven't had the flu yet.. Hopefully not at all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems so strange that so many folks come down with bad colds right around the first of the year. We're all healthy around here . . . knock on wood. Just read (but know you can't believe all you read) that they are now linking people who have gotten flu shots for years to people who develop Alzheimer's and dementia. Hubby and I are hovering around 70 and have never gotten the shots nor had the flu. (More knocking on wood.)

    Our weather has been extremely dry and warm. Should have a couple of feet of snow on the ground this time of year in northern MN but brown grass is showing all over. If this continues, it will not be good for our gardens this coming season. Plus, drought means the threat of forest fires up here.

    Who hasn't noticed the rising prices. I fear we haven't seen the worst of it yet. Plus I haven't noticed wages increasing. (Ha! Nor has our retirement income gone up!!)

    Your donuts look WONDERFUL. It's been years since made them. Now I have the urge . . . I could eat that whole batch myself. Any left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mama Pea - your comment about Alzheimer alarmed me so I went to www.alz.org and found this info:

      Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.

      Thought I'd post this to ease your (and my) mind. Take care....

      Delete
  7. We need rain here so badly. The river is about as low as I can ever remember seeing it.
    Hope you and hubby feel better soon. I've not taken a flu shot this year, but am wondering if I should. I've heard the flu outbreak is widespread and severe already this year.
    The donuts look very good! And I hear you on the WalMart prices, it seems like I don't get all that much and I can still easily spend 100 bucks.
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenda,

    It sounds like your feeling better, and now hubby has it.
    I say take things slowly, take vitamins and get better before tackling big
    projects.

    I love the cardinal picture, it beautiful....great picture my friend!!!

    When the puppy doesn't want to listen and runs toward the roadway, I would be worried myself. Good thing to put her in a run/pen.

    I've been craving donuts, and I came across this post. Looks really yummy, and I can't have any :=(

    Groceries are going up and will continue to get higher. Be prepared for a higher bill the next time you go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I certainly hope he doesn't have the flu...it's supposed to be nasty this year! I decided that I am using up all my remaining seed, then starting new!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you get to feeling better quickly!
    And those doughnuts? Oh...I must make some now!

    ReplyDelete