Friday, January 11, 2013

Through January 11, 2013

We are still a puny crew here. I finally insisted DH see a doctor yesterday.  They did a chest x-ray and determined he has bronchitis.  I could hear him rattling and whistling across the room and was worried he might have pneumonia.   He is just on over-the-counter decongestants and nasal sprays.  The doctor did give him a small size puffer for when he is very short winded.  I think he actually feels worse today.  I believe it is because the decongestants have loosened him up and he is coughing a lot.

I still have some cold remnants but feel good.

I actually made myself milk this morning and it went well.  I got a 3-day supply!  That is good for Willow these days.

DH had left the gate to the lane open so part of the herd had wandered down into the back barn lot.  DH locked them in and we decided to take advantage of the pretty sunshiny day and separate out all the calves from the bulls and mamas.  It took us two hours but went pretty smoothly.  There are always a few who don't cooperate at all......

Now we can just feed them until we are ready to sell.

Notice some of them staring toward the camera?  They don't see me often so I am the scary unknown!



another view,



and one taken in the shade,



That was it for the day for me....and him.

I made a large pot of potato soup for lunch and that is my cooking for the day.

You all take care and I hope none of you get colds or the flu!

10 comments:

  1. I hope you and your husband are completely recovered soon, Glenda. These illnesses are especially scary this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not over it yet.....maybe a little better for him. I am fine.

      Delete
  2. Not sure your hubby should have been out working with the cows in his condition . . . but I know it's hard to keep a good man down! Bronchitis can be serious, of course, but you both probably feel better knowing it's not pneumonia. Your animals sure look healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how farm work is; it must be done! It has made us think about really retiring at some point.

      Delete
  3. Bless your hearts, working when you are getting over cruddy health issues. I do hope and pray you are both feeling much better SOON.

    Your cows look GREAT.

    Love and hugs to the two of you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorraine.

      The cold weather has hit now so that won't help.

      Delete
  4. Great looking herd! You must supplement them in addition to hay?
    Get well!
    Ray
    tennesseecountryliving.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Ray. We have never fed grain to a beef cow unless it was penned up sick. Ours get by on salt, minerals, good water and local grass hay.

      Delete
  5. Bronchitis makes me feel so bad! I remember the first time I had it, because I was so sick. Take care of each other. That potato soup sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think DH feels too good either. I am fine. I helped with chores this morning and he is in his easy chair with a good book now.

      Delete