Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Bull - Winter Hay -misc

Another very hot and humid day...no rain. I have started watering again.

We took final delivery of our winter hay supply yesterday and DH spent all afternoon unloading large rounds. I think we have just under 200 bales. They also brought me a few small squares for the calves.

My aunt called last night and told us about a young BA bull for sale. The neighbors who rent her land had him there for a while. She thought he was a nice one and we might be interested in him. We drove down this morning, a 45 minute trip and looked at him. He is still young, a 2 year-old so will grow a lot more. We were impressed with him. He seems very gentle. I asked if they would deliver for the same price and they agreed. So in a few weeks he will be arriving. They want to be sure a cow he serviced settled first. They call him Bozo so I may keep the name.

Bozo

I hope that takes care of the farm for a while....oops I forgot the tractor needs work; a hydraulic pump is going out.....always something.

I have canned a few pints of tomatoes. The main crop are starting to ripen.

I have begun mowing everything down that looks bad. I set the mower as high as it would go and took off. I will have to take the brush hog to some beds. The word streamlining comes to mind.

I made bagels yesterday evening late and will need to make bread in a day or two.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Glenda ~ I love the look of Bozo and I don't know a thing about cattle at all. Love and tenderness go a long way with all critters. I'm sure he'll fit in nicely there at your farm.

    Sorry to hear about the hydraulic pump going on your tractor. That is a must have for you.

    Taking a brush hog to your gardens sounds like serious business. :-) I'm doing what is necessary and forgetting the rest, until it cools down, which for us will be another 2-3 months.

    Hope the rest of your week is great. Enjoy putting up veggies and fruit from your gardens.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda that is a nice-looking bull - I love the glossiness of his coat. Just how long do your cows live, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kris, most people sort of rotate them out of the herd by 6 or 7 years. At this point they are still worth something at the sale barn. We aren't too good at the culling process though. We have some that are over 9 years.

    The bulls you keep until they get so heavy, 2000 lbs or so, that they can harm the cows and then you bring in younger ones. Also if you keep any heifers back to add to the herd, you have to be careful of too much inbreeding. Fathers to daughters isn't too bad but when you get to the grand generations, then flaws can appear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one purty bull. Glad he's gentle, looks like he can get big.

    You are one hard workin' woman. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, when you mow, you're on your tractor, aren't you? When I said in a different comment, that I cringed, it was because I was imagining you pushing a mower with those swollen muscles.

    Yes, that is a pretty creature.

    ReplyDelete