Sunday, August 8, 2010

Home-made Ketchup - Butterflies at last

Still very hot and very dry.

Saturday I let three calves milk Willow for me. I think she is giving more milk this lactation than before and she is more eager for her grain. The three calves is working well for me. Now I can just milk if I want to or we need it for the house.

I did set 1-1/2 gallons to clabber for cottage cheese and buttermilk. It is in the fridge now. I will cook the clabber for the cheese in the morning.

I had about 16 lbs. of tomatoes dead ripe, both regular and pear. I decided late yesterday afternoon to make a batch and a half of ketchup which we dearly love. It was a long process. I wonder if I could cook it overnight with the lid off on the crock pot to cook it down? May have to try that.

I ended up with almost 5 pints of the good stuff. I made this a little less sweet than I usually do. I think I like it better this way.
From Food

I was able to mow a little around the milk parlor while it was still cool and breezy. That was enough. The rest of the yard will be done in small spurts unless DH gets ambitious and does it all at once.

We are seeing more butterflies, black swallowtails, spicebush swallowtails, one Monarch and a Giant Swallowtail a few minutes ago. I was so excited but it was just here and gone. I also saw another Buckeye.

I braved the 100 + sun and checked out the row of zinnias I planted in the kitchen garden. All are in full, bright sun so not of the best quality.

From August 2010

I think I have identified them from my book correctly.

First a large bee, maybe a Carpenter?
From August 2010

A Spicebush Swallowtail:
From August 2010

This one wouldn't hold its wings open long enough to get a good picture. I think it is a Great Spangled Fritillary.
From August 2010
Here you can see the inside of the wing for better i.d.
From August 2010

I was shooting blind most times because in the bright sunlight my screen was of little use. I think I caught it taking a sip of nectar.
From August 2010
and here I got both the Fritillary and the Common Sulphur. We have had thousands of the Sulphurs all season.
From August 2010
and the sulphur all alone on the zinnia

From August 2010

2 comments:

  1. Difficult to say if that is a carpenter bee although it certainly might be. You can always tell for sure because a carpenter bee butt is hairless and shiny black. All other bees (even the really big ones) have fuzzy butts.

    Good grief your weather is hot. Take care and keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you made ketchup! I bet my husband would like it, as long as you put some salt in it. I wish they sold reduced sodium ketchup. I just got some salt free, and Larry said he's not eating anymore of it, because he doesn't like it.

    I just wish I had some nice sized tomatoes.

    Your butterfly photos turned out great! I've taken blind photos in the sun, too. It's fun seeing how they've turned out, even though a lot end up deleted.

    ReplyDelete