Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Pod! - Mincemeat recipe wanted

I have been watching this vine all summer worrying that it was way to high near the roof line for the wasps to find it. Look what I found this morning! I am so excited, now please just let it fill out..........This is the corkscrew vine, vigna caracalla and has the most heavenly fragrance.

From October 2010

Mincemeat

I made some mincemeat last year just flying by the seat of my pants...it was good. I still would like an old tried and true recipe from years past.

Ilene, did you mention having one once? Anyone? Susan, how about you? Mincemeat pie ranks right up there with raisin....then there are mincemeat turnovers (baked), and cookies.

Mine last year just included raisins, apples, candied cherries, candied orange peel, oranges (skin and all) some frozen peaches....a little hard cider, some cooked down cider. I cooked it all down very low and then let it ripen on the porch in a crock before freezing. I didn't include meat in it...I don't like the stringiness that meat gave grandma's. I don't think Mom always used meat, but maybe she did.

2 comments:

  1. We always made green tomato mincemeat. I've got the recipe somewhere, I'll see if I can find it. I don't like meat in mine, either. I'll look in my old Farm Journal cookbook and see what they have, as well.

    Oh I want some seed off that corkscrew vine, for sure! Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Glenda,
    I looked it up, and I was right in thinking that's the same thing that we call a snail vine. Ours are blooming, but won't be for long, once the nights get cooler than the 50s.

    I am not much of a baker, and have no recipe for mincemeat. I hope you find some good ones.

    ReplyDelete