Monday, April 2, 2012

Yesterday was filled with small chores and errands; not a lot accomplished really.

First thing after DH finished checking cattle and I did my routine housework, we went to town for the string trimmer line and I picked up some orchard spray.  I want to try to do some minimal spraying on the fruit trees.

When we got back, it was already too hot for me to do any trimming, but I did get the string lined out.  DH set the sleeve in concrete for the birdhouse pole.  I hope I put it in the best location.  I decided to put it right in the middle of the east end of the garden.  This way it won't be too near buildings or the line going to the garage (power).  I hope we can get the house installed today.

I am milking this morning.

A very weird thing happened recently and we still can't quite figure it out.  I made a cushion for our porch swing an also one for a lawn chair.  When the company was here we all sat outside on the porch and no one even noticed the cushions were missing.......

While I was cleaning out the migrated berry patch that is right in front of a drainage ditch that is filled with weeds and is never mowed, I noticed some strange light colored thing in the ditch.  I kept staring at it trying to figure what it was and finally it dawned on me.  It was the porch swing cushion!  All I could think of was wind which would have to have lifted it off the porch and then sailed it across the garden through fruit trees and dropped it in the ditch.  It doesn't really seem feasible but the dog has never messed with anything like that before.   It is one of those things you just have to forget about.....now where on earth is the chair cushion?

I hesitate to show this picture. It doesn't speak well of my gardening habits.  This is the berry patch that grew by underground runners and I just let it go.  The cushion was found to the left of the patch and down in that grassy area that is the old drainage ditch from the milk barn.


Back  to the patch explanation.  It is pruned and I can walk through and around for picking.  I hope to cut back the weeds on the ground but it will be tricky not to cut down a berry plant. 

3 comments:

  1. Your story about the cushion is one of those kooky things that just make you go 'huh?'. Remember when I found my geranium plant on top of the arbor? And last year when planting my potatoes I found an EGG buried in that patch of garden. We all have those stories. Sometimes it just makes your hair stand on end, no?

    Hey, as long as you get get nice sweet berries to enjoy, don't worry about how the patch looks.

    We got almost a half-inch of rain yesterday. Wish I could send you some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some rain over the weekend and the Prez was able to get our first burn permit! YEAH! We are still ripping out pricker bushes!!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad, berry patches are notoriously difficult to keep tidy. We have raspberry bushes and grass grows under them. I've pulled it out and trimmed it---maybe just adding grass clippings as mulch to keep the weeds down?

    ReplyDelete