Thursday, November 18, 2010

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Still misty and cool, not much sun.

I bottled yesterday's milk and made butter. I had one guart of cream from the last two milkings. I got 9.6 oz of butter. I don't like to let the cream accumulate too long and since I just milk two or three times a week so I just make it more often. I am finding the food processor with the plastic blade is faster that the mixer with the wire whip.

I now have three little packages frozen.

We did our Thanksgiving dinner shopping yesterday. I hope I don't have to make another run for something.

I think both of our children will be here. That hasn't happened in a long time.
We will be crowded but the cousins all have such a good time together that it is worth the hubbub for that alone.

Garden

I pulled almost all of the turnips. They were beginning to re-sprout. I think I will try storing them in the cellar. The two or three freezes made them much sweeter. These should last me all year....DH won't touch them.

From Harvest 2010

A couple weighed over a pound and had split. I thought they would be strong and pithy but they weren't.

From Harvest 2010

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That is a little crop of turnips. I've never eaten one but Mom tells me they ate turnips as often as potatoes when growing up. Do you cook them the same way? Pretty color...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really nice looking turnips. We ate them all the time when I was growing up. My dad always dug the turnips after a couple of freezes also. The turnips from the store don't have the sweet taste, guess it's because they're in a hurry to harvest them.

    I like turnips but my husband won't eat them either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I meant to type is "a NICE little crop of turnips". I was all fumblethumbs this morning. Sorry :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, that's a big turnip! Daddy loved turnips and Mom would cook them even though she hated them! I would always taste, then turn up my nose! I ended up liking almost all veges, that's a good thing. Glad your family will be there over the holidays. We will have oldest daughter Stephanie and her family. Amy lives near Dallas and it's just to far since she works the next day :O(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda, they are one of my FAVORITE foods!!!! You are so lucky...I'm drooling and my husband won't eat them so the only time I have them is as a treat for Thanksgiving!...:)JP P.S. Did you email the recipe for your shortbread cookies yet?

    ReplyDelete