Monday, February 11, 2013

Crackling Cornbread, Cushions and Bread Day

Our little cooler front arrived.  We just got a total of .75 of rain out of the two-day system.  The winds have finally dropped considerably.

I got a little carried away on seeds......again.  I wanted some Laura Bush petunia seeds  so to 'round out' the order and make the shipping a more reasonable per package, I got a few more things, 9 to be exact.

Dixondale will be shipping my onions next month.  I will try to get the garden tilled before then....haven't heard from the service center yet.

I am still  working on the cushion slip covers..............



I will take another picture of all of the chairs at the table....maybe.  I just have to finish the ties.  I used velcro self adhesive type to close the back. 


Cooking


Kris sent me a link to a blog about making crackling cornbread .  The blogger was so enthusiastic about it, I decided to give it another try.  I used my regular recipe but added l  cup of the cracklings to the batter.  We had it for supper last even ing with cold (willow) milk and lots of butter.  We both loved it!  We had it at lunch with white beans and cole slaw. I thawed a  small piece of pound cake for dessert.  I believe I will keep it for us and not give it to the chickens or the birds......... Thanks Kris.

 

I also used about half white whole wheat in place of regular white flour.  Couldn't see it made a bit of difference in either texture or taste.

I must have browned the last batch a little too much.

The other cooking above normal was making bread again.  DH prefers all white but is flexible so I cut back on the white whole wheat and replaced it with bread flour. 



I still have problem with the loaves puffing out one side.  I have tried moving the pans half way through baking, I have sealed  them carefully; I have let them raise way past the pans so I wouldn't get so much pop when they hit the hot oven.  Nothing works....I  think my pans are just too small.....next time, I am making 5 loaves out of the same recipe.  The dough weighed over 6 lbs (6.10).  I think I have even tried slashing a loaf, but not sure about that one.

10 comments:

  1. My breads sometimes do that side puffy thing. I've never been able to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever do get it figured out I will shout it to the rooftops! It doesn't hurt the flavor but sometimes there will be a hole on that side which is a nuisance when toasting.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy, cushions and breads. What a really interesting flooring you have under the chair and table. I've never seen that before. Is it vinyl?

    Have a nice Valentine's day. Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that is marble in the entrance way; I thought the light cushions would show up better next to the dark. It is cold as ice always....no one ever uses our front entrance....ever. They come to the doors on the driveway side.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking cushion, I like the idea of velcro on the back. Easy to pull off and clean if needed.

    The bread looks amazing, I wouldn't worry about the side puffing out.

    I went to make bread and it flopped, it didn't raise. I believe my yeast is no longer any good. I'll have to try again another day.

    Are you all expecting snow? Their predicting snow for us this evening into tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are still saying 'maybe' all depends on how the temperature goes.

    Sandy, keep your yeast in the freezer; it will stay good for a long, long time. I buy SAF yeast by the pound and put it in a container and store it in the freezer. I have never had it fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glenda,

      I read some where to place it in the refrigerator, is it better in the freezer? Do you place it in a freeze tight container?

      Delete
  5. Hey Glenda, glad Leigh's cracklin cornbread recipe was such a hit! After reading her post I kind wish I had some cracklins of my own to use. LOL While I've been having fun with soda and flat breads, I think the pic of your raised breads has given me the itch to try some yeast bread myself. Weather you get rain or snow, I just hope you don't have any damaging wind/storms with them. Fingers crossed....

    ReplyDelete
  6. The picture of your bread is beautiful . . . blup on the side or not! I store the bulk of my yeast in the freezer and just keep a small jar in the refrigerator for current use.

    Your reupholstered chair cushions are looking great. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try such a light color in our house though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Re: the yeast, I keep it in a small plastic container than holds the whole lb. I use it directly from the freezer with no problems at all.

    We only use this table that seats 8-10 for big family dinners and these get fewer and farther between with each passing year!

    ReplyDelete